• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New member from DC

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
kellydaltondc
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: none

New member from DC

Post by kellydaltondc »

Hello everyone. My name is Kelly. I am currently in the process of looking for a boat. From what I have researched I am thinking about purchasing an Albin 27 Family Cruiser. I am looking particularly at the 1984 model of this vessel.

Does anyone have any advice for a person looking to buy one of these? Here is my plan. I am most likely going to purchase this year. I will be using the boat pretty close to home for starters. I plan to do the great loop in 3 years. Seeing as though everyone here seems to be an Albin enthusiast I figured this would be the best place to ask for any pointers.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Kelly
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: New member from DC

Post by DougSea »

Hi Kelly, and welcome aboard!

Do some searching around and think about posting a few questions in the A25/A27 section, I'm sure someone will chime in soon.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

Kelly, you might want to stop by at the Chesapeake AOG Rendezvous this weekend at Knapps Narrows Marina. There will be a variety of Albins there and a very friendly group of owners. The details are in the Albin rendezvous forum. I'm the coordinator and I know you would be welcomed by the group.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Hi Kelly -

I own a 1984 A27FC. You can ask anything you like.

Some informal observations, and when I say "informal", I mean "don't quote me" -

The first year, 1983, did not have a "sand shoe". The rudder was simply hung from the rudder post and did not have a lower pivot attachment to the keel via a sand shoe like the later years did.

The early years had the mighty Lehman 61 hp diesel. Others had the Nissan 78 hp, and later had Yanmar. I know there's a huge gap in this database but I'm only on my first cup of coffee.

The boats from the '90's had a longer bow rail that extended past the pilothouse, rather than the shorter sailboat style of the earlier models.

1987, I believe, and later had a more finished cabin. The front cabin had a flip-up backrest for the aft facing dinette seat (the one in the bow). My boat simply has the V berth cushion here with no backrest. The aft cabin has drawers under the companionway and more finished cabinetry. Note: I have read that many do not prefer this as the earlier years (again, mine included) have a cavernous area here that extends deep forward up to the fuel tank. Much, much, MUCH more storage.

Then there's the headliner. Watch out for the ones where gravity is winning the battle. Mother Nature trying to force water past the window frames and rusting out the staples does not help. Mine has a bit of a fight on its hand but the battle is not lost yet.

Good luck in your search and, again, just ask.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Just had my second cup of coffee and re-read you opening post. Let me add some Loop pertinent info...

The Lehman 61 hp was based on a Peugeot auto diesel that was marinized by Lehman and hasn't been made in years. Parts are getting a bit hard to come by now but I haven't hit a road block yet. Substitutions maybe, but no road blocks. Also, she's slow. Hull speed at 6-7 knots is the norm. I've hit 9 knots but I'm pretty sure the out-going tide was helping me.

That storage space in the aft cabin I mentioned will be invaluable for the trip.

I would recommend a camper canvas. It makes the vessel into a three cabin yacht. OK, a 27 foot yacht.

Try searching around. If I recall, there have been some blogs about 27' Albins and such trips. Many have extra battery banks, larger holding tanks, generators, AC, auto pilots... One I recall was a gent who single-handed his 27 from Canada down the Trent Severn, visited family in Detroit, through the Erie canal, down the Hudson river, down Long Island Sound and ended up somewhere at home in Massachusetts (or was it NH?). And that was his FIRST trip.

For the Loop, I've heard horror stories and love stories. I think you're heading in the right direction. First, like the boat, learn the boat, modify the boat systems if necessary,... then decide if you and it are Loop ready. Again, search for the blogs.

Would I? Hmmmm... Actually, when the kids are grown and out of the house, my wife and I were thinking about it. We'll see...
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress

Return to “New Member Introductions”