• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dome light replacement lens

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dome light replacement lens

Post by jms02050 »

No good deed... Removed the cover and lens on a stainless cabin dome light to see what type of bulb was in it (for an LED conversion). The glass lens fell, hit the sink, and shattered. Anyone know of a source for a replacement?

Thanks.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Dome light replacement lens

Post by RobS »

I purchased lenses from http://www.hamiltonmarine.com but more importantly you need to know what make/model fixtures you have. Did you pull one down and check the back side?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Didn't get that far. This was one of those "just one more thing" ideas after finishing the only project that I went to the boat for. I'll take down the fixture tonight.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Or it may say it on the down side of the fixture, not sure, and a photo would be good too.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

No manufacturer markings at all. The base is about 4.25".
IMG_0454.jpg
IMG_0453.jpg
IMG_0456.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

When I ordered my new LED fixtures 2 came in with broken lenses. Defender immediately sent me 2 new fixtures and told me that if I don't get contacted by UPS in a week the damaged fixtures were mine to keep. I ended up keeping them and just ordered 2 replacement lenses, so I ended up getting to LED fixtures for $4.31 each :D I had actually miscounted forgetting the aft bunk and head fixtures so I was 2 short anyway and needed these extra 2, duh!

The fixture is Sea Dog model 400193-1 with a 4 inch lens.

Even though it's LED vs. INC. the fixture looks similar to yours. Here's a shot of my fixture that I had taken to email to Defender
DSCN4928.JPG
Here's my order for the replacement lense (Click to Enlarge)
I can't be sure it will fit but it looks close. For the price it's worth a shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I did some research on this a while back. The dome lights in the cabin and in the pilot house on my '02 are Sea Dog. Yours appears to be the same. Here's a link to a lens replacement : http://www.go2marine.com/item/16432/sea ... 191-1.html
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Hey Rob, I must have been typing when you were submitting. Anyway, thanks for the info on the Sea Dog LEDs'. When I was doing my research I was looking for plug 'n play LED fixtures to replace the INC. Sea Dog did not have them at the time. Thanks for the update!

Jim .... you've now got more information than you could have asked for!!!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

You're welcome Kevin. I upgraded from these cheapo looking plastic inc fixtures that ran hotter than my Yanmar! Stack some towels or the like high enough to touch the fixture on that forward ledge in the v-bunk and I guarantee you could start a fire if left too long. We see it in homeowner's closets with high shelves all the time. The vinyl behind some of the fixtures was actually brown scorched.

Now they look better, cool to the touch and give a whiter softer light and at ~$45 per the price was right. The only tricky thing was that the plastic fixture mounting holes were under the lens so they were tighter to the center of the fixture where the LED ss fixture has perimeter mounting holes. From what I could feel through the headliner Albin used scraps of wood at each fixture for stapling the headliner and mounting the fixtures. It was tedious to get the 3 holes on the ss fixture to grab the random shape/size of the wood. Having to do 7 of them and work overhead was like a never ending PITA. And be sure to use a very short drill bit, even the tape wrap trick to judge the bit depth ain't good enough for this one, with 21 holes there's a lot of room for an "oops"
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Funny, was just placing an order at Hamilton Marine for a Seadog lens when I saw the updates to this thread. Thanks so much guys. Did anybody track down a replacement LED bulb? Would be nice to swap bulbs rather than lights...
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

My incandescent fixtures look just like Rob's new LEDs' and yours Jim. I had looked into LED bulbs a few years ago and they were around $25 each. They should have come down by now. When staying on the hook these can be a fair draw on the house bats. From this thread my interest has been renewed in searching out bulbs again. If I find something I'll let you know and I'm sure you guys will update this thread as well.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I replaced one of the G4 lamps in my salon lighting with a "warm white" LED disk from Dr. LED. Other than a very slightly different color and a nearly complete lack of heat you can't tell the difference.

I used these: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1645300

The photo doesn't show the pins which extend from the side of the disk and plug into the bi-pin socket. I'm going to convert all of the lights over the season.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Doug - Noticed DR. LED sells another G4 that is of similar style to the standard G4 bi-pin dome light bulb.

https://www.professorled.com/catalog/pr ... cts_id=116

And to complicate matters, they sell a dome light conversion kit.

https://www.professorled.com/catalog/pr ... ucts_id=72

Just wondering it you looked at/tried either of these options? The price sure is right on the bulb from Defender.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

And to further complicate things, here's some reading
http://www.panbo.com/archives/2012/04/l ... sight.html
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

If you read the Panbo article on the "Dome Light Replacement" Ben comments that that single LED version giving a "mirror ball" like look to his light/lens combination. The version I used, which I just saw in a display when I was at Defender and said "Hmmm, interesting", has multiple LEDs and seems to give a pretty even light.

One thing I did have to do was plug the light "disk" in and then twist it so it was parallel to the floor. Seems to work fine.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “General Discussion”