• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mixing Elbow

sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Mixing Elbow

Post by sweetwater »

OK, here is a question for the mechanically minded here. I have been told the life expectancy of our mixing elbows (315 Yanmar) is 5 to 7 years. Mine is an 05 and is original. I contacted someone to fabricate a stainless one for me and when I removed mine....It looks to be either stainless or aluminum and in great shape... Anyone with info on this subject?
gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Re: Mixing Elbow

Post by gerber30 »

I just had mine replaced on my 2005 Yanmar. Still looked pretty good, I believe it is Cast Stainless. But remember it will still corrode with enough heat and salt. If it fails Saltwater can easily enter the engine through the Turbo and then it gets expensive. The Yanmar part is about 660.00. I went ahead and changed it. Very easy to do. Good Luck.
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

OK, thats what it looks like. I suppose I will change it out anyway, since it is now sitting on my kitchen table. I'm a little suprised how little pitch is in the elbow/exhaust hose. Suprised water doesnt drain back in. Thanks for your help..
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Stainless would not be an OEM Yanmar product to my knowledge, Cummins yes.

This is the 6LP OEM mixing elbow:
6LP Mixing Elbow 1.jpg
Here's mine which I believe was original (9 years):
DSCN9960.JPG
DSCN9957.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Joseph Michigan, Pier 33

Post by Alan_Douville »

Hmmm, mine is a 2006 and she has only seen Fresh Water here in Lake Michigan, you think I need to change it out as well, or would the lack of salt prolong the lifespan?
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Hull Number: AUL 28 942 H 708
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

I would have to think the freshwater would extent it's lifespan. As long as it does not look like this you should be fine :shock:
not mine!.jpg
When replacing (or re-installing) the mixing elbow be sure to also replace the v-clamp that connects the elbow to the exhaust bend and the crush gasket too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Joseph Michigan, Pier 33

Post by Alan_Douville »

Thanks Rob, I will go look at. Where does one buy a 6LP Mixing Elbow these days? Anybody have a link?

Thanks
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Hull Number: AUL 28 942 H 708
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

I kept watch on eBay and one finally popped up. Guys sometimes need to get one custom fabricated for certain installations and then have no need for the OEM one.

A good source for Yanmar parts is Bayshore Marine, they are listed on this page: viewforum.php?f=55

In a prior post on this same subject, Jay also mentions this fabricator who I would be calling before ordering the "disposable" $650 one from Yanmar again: Marine Manifold Corp in Farmingdale, NY. 631-694-0714 speak with Paul. I have my old one and can drop it off to him if he needs it for a model.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Post by efishnsea »

Hi Rob How many hours would be realistic before replacement of this elbow? I also have a 2005 but only 250 hours.
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

efishnsea wrote:Hi Rob How many hours would be realistic before replacement of this elbow? I also have a 2005 but only 250 hours.
I have no way of knowing. Plus there are several factors that could effect it's service life, mostly the salinity of the water. I would be more concerned with time (age) than running hours. Once it gets hit with salt water once, the corrosion begins. IMO, Engine hours would not be a factor because the elbow corrodes, it does not wear out. Unless the exposure to the exhaust heat contributes to the failure of the metal, don't know..

Here is the 6LP Operation Manual on Period Inspections - 500 hours or 2 Years. Also attached is the page from the parts book.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

I am having mine made at Marine Manifolds in Farmingdale Long Island. He is making it out of stainless, putting the water inlet further down the elbow and making the elbow itself 5 inches longer. If it does fail or corrode, water will not be able to get into the Turbo. Seems like a worthwhile improvement.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

sweetwater wrote:I am having mine made at Marine Manifolds in Farmingdale Long Island. He is making it out of stainless, putting the water inlet further down the elbow and making the elbow itself 5 inches longer. If it does fail or corrode, water will not be able to get into the Turbo. Seems like a worthwhile improvement.
Yes that is the proper design for a marine wet elbow. It should ALWAYS self drain and the riser should use ALL available height in the engine compartment to prevent water from backing into the engine.
And Paul does nice work. I had one made by him several years ago.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Excellent, glad I referenced the old post when I replied to this one. Please post some good pictures before you install it.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jumpjet231
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jumpjet231 »

I had mine inspected two years ago and the guy said it looked almost new. This boat is an '04 and has been in RI and the Chesapeake it's whole life. FWIW..
2004 28TE
"Wave-off"
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

I should be getting the mixer back this Tuesday. I will try to poet a picture or two. Here is another concern.... Should I be replacing the exhaust elbow also? It does not have raw water running through it so I did not think that was a part to replace periodically?

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”