• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Jabsco ultra max fresh water pump issues

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

stevediebold
First Mate
First Mate

Jabsco ultra max fresh water pump issues

Post by stevediebold »

I have a 2003 35 command bridge that i bought in 2008. I am about to be on my third fresh water pump. This time the pump motor keeps running and the water spurts out of the faucet. Before I buy a third one in four years, does anyone know what this issue is? Also, the water temp in the shower surges when using tank water but not on dockside. Any ideas here? It s 3.8 gpm and i wonder if I need something biggerand better? It s just easier to replace with the same unit...same mounting, wiring, etc. thanks
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Jabsco ultra max fresh water pump issues

Post by jleonard »

stevediebold wrote: It s just easier to replace with the same unit...same mounting, wiring, etc. thanks
And much more profitable for Jabsco. If I had that kind of "success" I would buy another brand without a doubt.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Captn_Dwt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pleasant Cove, Boothbay, ME

Post by Captn_Dwt »

From my experience, I'd say you have a supply-side issue in your tubing. Sleuth the tubes from tank to pump for any obstruction / collapse / pinching; then see if there's an inline filter that's restricted with slime or whatever. I'll bet your pump is fine, or, there's no filter in-line and you are killing the pump with debris from the tanks. My 2 cents; but I stopped having these problems 10 years ago by overhauling the plumbing to the pump.
Best wishes!
Capt Kangeroo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Great Lakes, Canada

Post by Capt Kangeroo »

I realize this is an older post but couldn't help throwing my two cents (rant) in on this subject. I too have had countless problems with Jabsco (ie: ITT) equipment. In fact, nearly everyone I know has had numerous problems with this companies products. Their corporate strategy of selling feature rich, but very poor quality products dirt cheap and making their money on the downstream parts revenue has served them very well, they own the market, not to mention it has all but eliminated the competition. Once you have their equipment installed they are well aware the majority of consumers will take the simpler installation route by re-purchasing from the same manufacturer. (I too am guilty of this laziness.) This fact along with the low cost of the replacement assures them of continued market share regardless of their products reputation.

I wish I could say who's products to buy but I have noted that there appears to be a number of pumps on the market nearly identical to Jabsco's so I suspect they are offsetting their lousy reputation by re-branding and repackaging under different names. caveat emptor

Regarding their pumps specifically, I recently replaced a fresh water pump that only lasted 3 months and found four others on board which were defective or had been changed in the past but the former owner could not see his way to throwing them out. These were used in various applications, fresh water, bilge, deck wash, On examining the five, three were defective pressure switch assys and one had a shorted winding and the other was seized. All are salvageable if I care to buy their parts. On my previous boat I replaced two Jabsco pumps, one with corroded switch terminals on the pressure switch which had rotted off and the other I don't recall. Both were under three years old.

I won't bore you with my rant on their toilets.

.....I wonder if I can get the wife to use a bucket for all her water and toiletry needs.
stevediebold
First Mate
First Mate

Post by stevediebold »

Well after some sleuthing as recommended above...I cannot blame Jabsco anymore. I had my ac hoses replaced and the guy who did it accidentally loosened the supply side hose and it was sucking in air so the pump couldn't prime. A simple tightening and a collar clip and she's working like a charm. Thanks everyone for the posts.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

stevediebold wrote:Well after some sleuthing as recommended above...I cannot blame Jabsco anymore. I had my ac hoses replaced and the guy who did it accidentally loosened the supply side hose and it was sucking in air so the pump couldn't prime. A simple tightening and a collar clip and she's working like a charm. Thanks everyone for the posts.
Glad you found the problem. I had a very similar issue (supply) caused by my filter clogging with "stuff" from my aluminum tanks (35TE) and starving the pump. So the filter is now check list item #1.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

This thread is the closest one I can find to my answering my question so I'll ad it here instead of starting a new thread.
My 2004 35 TE has the jabsco pump and it utilizes some sort of quick connector. The connector uses a clip to hold the fittings together and i dropped one in the bilge. I can find them on the jabsco site, WM and internet search. Part of my problem is i don't know what the part is called.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Trav
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Jabsco - Snap-in Port Slide Clips ?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:Jabsco - Snap-in Port Slide Clips ?

Pretty close Rob as "Slide" is what they do.

Snap-in Port "Side" Clips part# 30648-1000

Not sure exactly which pump model we are talking about here, but here's the PDF on the Ulta Max Water Pressure System from my 31TE.

Link to Pump Vendor.com for Clips:

http://www.pumpvendor.com/Flojet_20408-000.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Thanks Guys! I was by West marine and they don't stock them but managed to get Jabsco to send them some.

Trav
BIGDOG9857
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: STATEN ISLAND, N.Y.

Post by BIGDOG9857 »

Hello All, could someone please tell me where the freshwater pump that powers the sink & shower is located on my 2005 Albin T/C Convertable.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

On my 2005 flush deck the fresh water pump is located under the sink in the head. I assume yours in not working otherwise you can turn on the water and hear the pump running.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
tommycal32@gmail.com
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: newport ri

Post by tommycal32@gmail.com »

Hi All, I emptyed water tank to then put anti freeze in water tank , how do I reprime the pump ? Thanks, Manatee
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

tommycal32@gmail.com wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:48 pm Hi All, I emptyed water tank to then put anti freeze in water tank , how do I reprime the pump ? Thanks, Manatee
The pump is self priming, but with an aluminum water tank you would be wise to not add antifreeze to the tank as it causes oxidation with the aluminum. There's a fitting on the end of the hose connecting the water tank to the pump strainer. Either use that fitting, if you can get it off of the hose, or order another and get a clear piece of 3 ft hose and use this to draw directly from the gallon jug of antifreeze or pouring bulk to a larger pail. You'll use "a lot" less antifreeze and not cause oxidation to your aluminum water tank. Bypassing the hot water tank is a good idea as well.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Post by drbob »

What is the pressure rating for the freshwater system? It looks like the Jabsco in the brochure on this thread can be set for anywhere between 10 to 60 psi.

Also, this Jabsco looks like it comes with a pulsation dampener (which we don't have on the one on our 28 TE).

Is the rating based on Gallons per minute as well? 2 gpm, 3.5, etc.

The WestMarine pumps have a built in bypass to replace the need for a separate pulsation dampener.

Bob

Return to “Albin Maintenance”