• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Awlgrip - Started

waterhound

Awlgrip - Started

Post by waterhound »

Hi Folks,

Went by to check on the 28 TE I'm having awlgripped over the winter, here's the shots from inside the paint shed in near real time. Right now, it's primed. The gel coat was very porous and need special treatment. Even the primer looks better. I'll keep you updated with additional photos as it progresses.
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Awlgrip - Started

Post by mudskipper »

Hello from downtown pipersville [Pa] I have a 40 Albin trawler which will need paint soon. It looks like the shop which is doing your job is the real deal, not a guy working out of a van in the marina parking lot. Where is it being done, and what is the approximate price? My boat is in Oceanport NJ.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Waterhound,
Your off to a good start. Keep us updated with pictures.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Waterhound,

I had this done and have never regretted it. I'm sure your going to be very happy with the results!

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Waterhound: Your primer and prep. workis looks really good. I have seen some Awlgrip up close and it makes an excelent final project. Of course the prep. is everything.

whwells "Howard"
Ancortes, Wa.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Water hound,
Who is doing the work?

Thanks
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
waterhound

Post by waterhound »

Hi folks,

I'm having the work done at Kingman Marine - on Cape Cod. They have a good paint shed and the expertise to do it right. It also happens to be my home marina. www.kingmanyachtcenter.com.

Unfortunately, I'm going to miss some of the additional prep done this week, but will post photos as soon as I get back.
Price should be around 7K, +/- a few hundred. Not cheap, but also no need to deal with it (wax, snake oil, etc) for the next 6-12 years, which all of a sudden looks like a good deal to me.

Now I just need to look forward to the first time I scratch it - nothing like that first ding!

Drew
waterhound

Post by waterhound »

Some progress...
albin.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mudskipper »

ooh baby ooh baby ooh baby the boat looks great! :D :D :D
waterhound

Post by waterhound »

Here's the Friday update!
Rjmycock
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cotuit, MA

Post by Rjmycock »

I live in the area, have a 31 that is going to need this done in a year or two. It was very impressive , shop let me look at it and was very informative. My guess is if you want to get this done this is a place to do. The is going to look great this summer, good decision, nice color combination.
Ronald Mycock
Cotuit, MA
waterhound

Post by waterhound »

Unfortunately I have not seen it this week! Thanks for the update. I presume John Burman showed you around. Did you get any photos of the boat? :).
Rjmycock
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cotuit, MA

Post by Rjmycock »

I believe it was John that showed us your boat. No pictures, the boat was still wrapped, they were doing the boot stripe. He said they would be finished next week and the boat would be back out side, I am interested in seeing it in the day light, I think you are going to be very happy.
Ronald Mycock
Cotuit, MA
waterhound

Post by waterhound »

very near to finished result.
Capeandisland
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Cape Cod, MA

Post by Capeandisland »

I love the Carolina Blue! looks great, kingman does a good job. i noticed in an earlier post you mentioned not needing to wax for 6-12 years??? is that somehting you are hearing from them? i have awlgrip on all of our boats, except the viking (gelcoat) and wax constantly. i've never even heard of a paint application that doesnt require periodic waxing every year. most advise not to wax for several months to allow for a full cure...

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”