• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

shower sump

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

shower sump

Post by tbnolin »

Not sure if this is the right area to post this, but here goes.
Has any one had to change out their shower sump and if so is it an easy switch out? Just planning my day as to how long this would take. And do you leave your breaker on all the time for that and the gray water pump? Thanks in advance.

Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mantoloking, NJ

Re: shower sump

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Hey Tom what is time to a man of leisure like you in So Florida?
I assume you must be talking about the aft head? The forward head sump is in that custom made sump box, which actually works well, but is tough to get apart if needs maintenance. I have a sump in the aft floor which pumps the shower and sink water forward and into the grey water tank. I had trouble with mine but it was just a wiring issue, got messed up being in the water too much. I reattached it and cable tied it so it was dry most of the time. If it needs a new one it is 2 wires and you may be able to use the same base or just screw in a new one. I would turn everything off at the box, hook it up and turn it on.
With any luck , easiest project in a while.

Good luck, hope you and Brenda are well!!
Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Sorry misread part of your message. I do not leave them on unless I am using them. Not sure if that is right or wrong but is the way I always do it.
Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Thanks Craig. Unfortunately, it is the one in the forward cabin....in that custumized box! I was afraid to take the cover off in fear of what I might find! But, it looks like I'm going to have to venture down in and and see why it's not working. It would be good if it was just a wiring issue right inside the box....Stay tuned!

I've been doing the same thing with the pumps.....just turn them on when needed. Didn't want to take a chance of burning something up. Just wasn't sure if anyone out there leaves them on.

Still here in the Manatee Pocket. Looks like for the month of February, and then a move, but not far.
Again....stayed tuned!!!
Thanks again,

JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Tom other than the hassle of opening that box and doing it in such a way that it will go together again it should be a simple fix.Thought there was a Rule 800 in there? If there is a major problem you could replace the whole sump with a with one of those sumps from Groco etc.
I do not leave my switches on because the forward pump seems to cycle off and on alot probably due to the check valves, and it is annoying at night!!
AlbinNSC40
Craig
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Thanks again Craig. Been a little busy and have not yet tackled the "box". I'm sure it won't be all that bad. I'll let you know how I make out!

Never a dull moment!!

robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Post by robonurse »

The shower sump consists of a bilge pump and a float switch. Mine went bad last year. I replaced the float switch with one that I had in my cellar. It works fine. Total cost $0.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

On many boats the A/C condensate drain runs to the sump(s). So if your A/C is on you'd want to leave the sump powered up.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”