• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Microwave/outlet

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Microwave/outlet

Post by Serenity »

Without going with the crowbar, if I remove the starboard piece that keeps the microwave in place, will I find an outlet behind it. I have already removed the piece but the micowave was exremely snug and I didn't want to force it out if there was something else holding it in place. According to the schematic for the 28 TE, 1998, they show an outlet there. I want to use that outlet to plug in a new ac/dc fridge. :?:
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Microwave/outlet

Post by Pitou »

I imagine you will. On my '02 there was a receptacle box containing 2 outlets installed in the rear of the shelf that the microwave sits on. Mine was a little snug removing as well.

I have a DC only fridge and like your idea for obtaining AC power. Was your original fridge DC only? If so I'd love to follow along on with the progression of this project.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

My original fridge was dc. I am not a fond believer of using DC/batteries to power anything except electronics and pumps. I intend to put in a Norcold 740. It is AC/DC and should fit the current opening. I was having difficulty snaking a wire down from the AC panel, which is why I was curious where that receptacle is.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I've been waiting for my DC fridge to die and then do as you are. It keeps on ticking. Albin set the house system up with a group 27 to run the house .... what were they thinking? I switched out to a Rolls 4D for 5 years and when that bat neared its end I went with two heavy duty 6 volt golf cart batteries thinking if those bats could power 2 fat guys twice a day around a golf course they could take the strain of 24/7 for 6 months for a couple of years. Load tested them this fall after 2 seasons and they are at 94%. It looks like they will run another season or 2 easily.

Access to the fridge from the AC panel is actually pretty easy. If you pop off the approx. 6 inch vinyl covered trim piece running from the microwave cabinet to the quarter berth you will discover the AC and DC wiring running from your panels feeding the port side. Pop the button covers with a small screwdriver and the fastening screws will be exposed. Maybe you already have explored this. I do like the idea of the ease of just tying into the microwave outlet though. Good luck and I' would really like to here how this project goes. When the time comes I'll be following your lead.

Consider starting a new topic in the Tournament Express section Replacing DC fridge with AC/DC I know I'm not the only one who would be interested to gain some knowledge from your experience. Pictures are always great!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Joncat
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Old Saybrook CT

Post by Joncat »

Max,
Yes there is a duplex plug behind the microwave (at least on my 94) I replaced the 12v fridge with an ac/dc unit and plugged in, needed to drill a hole to feed cable up through the back of the cabinet below to reach the plug.
I replaced the old 12v Norcold 1.7cf unit with a 12v/110v 1.7cf Norcold, beware the new one will hit the hull, the top of the opening needed to be enlarged approx 1.5". I used a pressure treated 2x4 to build a cradle to raise the unit. This will leave a gap at the bottom, found a grill at West Marine that fits the gap perfectly and improves air flow. Job took about 4 hours total.
Good Luck,
John Mac
"Joncat"
94 28TE
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

When I replaced mine I had to make adjustments just as Joncat did. I wired mine to the plug that's in the quarter berth. (next to the steps) It took "us" about 4 hours. (us being my brother-in-law carpenter. I mainly watched.) :wink:
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I plan to explore both options, the existing outlet and popping off the quarter panel. My preference is to have a dedicated circuit for the fridge. However, havng the fridge plugged into the same circuit as the micro unit for the sake of access and installment is a positive note. Thank God, I am not anal. but if this keeps up, I might wander off to the dark side. In regard to the unit, the Norcold unit should fit with no modifications. I really hate to make a cut in interior fiberglass. The Admiral really gets real high testosterone levels when I make a boo boo. Will advise by the weekend.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Here's what you will probably find
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

That is what I found except your cabin is much cleaner and squared away than mine. Is that a pop corn maker?
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Serenity wrote:That is what I found except your cabin is much cleaner and squared away than mine. Is that a pop corn maker?
I completely empty the boat for the winter. Everything but the fire extinguishers and also my small portable electric heater for when I show up. That popcorn maker is this West Marine air dryer dehumidifier. It was on sale so I tried it, disliked it and returned it.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=50671
WM Air Mover.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Great idea on cleaning out the boat. I just need another garage. I left some head products in the head and now they are part of the head decor. I use a 60 watt light bulb in a porcelain holder with a small fan from pc to circulate the air. I wound up buying a battery operated angle drill from Harbor Freight to drill holes for the power cord that goes to the frigerator. If it works, $40 was a great deal.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

RobS wrote:That popcorn maker is this West Marine air dryer dehumidifier. It was on sale so I tried it, disliked it and returned it.
Rob, what do you use for dehumidifing the cabin over winter?
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

OldDemps wrote:
RobS wrote:That popcorn maker is this West Marine air dryer dehumidifier. It was on sale so I tried it, disliked it and returned it.
Rob, what do you use for dehumidifing the cabin over winter?
DampRid from the paint aisle at Home Depot. In 4 seasons I have never had a single sign of mold/mildew during winter layup.

However, I do always have some sort of project going on so she usually never stays zipped up for more than 2 weeks.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Serenity
In Memorium

Re: Microwave/outlet/ac/dc fridge

Post by Serenity »

We cut the top of the opening by an 1" plus to get the fridge in. We still had a problem with the Norcold 740 going in. I didn't want to cut any further where I would wind making another storage cabinet. The hull rise was the issue. I had room on the left side, but the right side was a little hairy I returned it and ordered a Nova Kool which is only 13 3/4" deep. The other dimensions are the same. I drilled the holes for the power cord with an battery operated right angle drill I purchased from Harbor Freight. Worked great. Will advise in 2 weeks.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I picked up the Nova Kool this morning and installed it in less than an hour It slid right in, with no additional cuttting. All I have left is to come up with a vent for the space at top of the opening or moulding.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”