• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Question about salt away

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Question about salt away

Post by sharffj »

There have been recent posts about using salt away and then vinegar to clean out the raw water side. Appears those using the salt away have been using the salt away adapter to a hose and then hooking it up to fresh water flush systems on their raw water intakes. As I don't have a fresh water flush attachment on my raw water intake I'm trying to figure the dilution factor of salt away to use per gallon of fresh water. I've had no problem pouring potable antifreeze into my raw water intake and keeping up with the engine flow, and would do the same with the salt away. If anyone knows the dilution factor of salt away per gallon of fresh water I'd be most appreciative. Also is everyone letting the salt away sit in their heat exchanger over night?
Jeff S
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Question about salt away

Post by jcollins »

Hi Jeff,
I ran mine in full strength and then let it sit overnight per instructions. The next day it idled with fresh water for 20-30 minutes. Since you can't do this, you would be flushing with raw water instead. It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask if there are any problems flushing with raw water. Probably not a problem but I am no expert.

Thanks,
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

He would only need to run a fresh water hose into the raw water intake with the raw water sea cock closed. this could be done in or out of the water.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

Just talked to the salt away people. They recommended a dilution of 512 to 1 or about a couple of ounces of salt away to 4 gallons of water. Let it sit overnight and then just run raw water through the engine. They had heard of the vinegar flush, but had no opinion on it.
Jeff S
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

Addendum at a dilution of 512 1 ounce of salt away would be in 4 gallons of water
Jeff S

Return to “Albin Maintenance”