• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Annual maintenance costs for 31 or 35te?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

scotts15
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: SF

Annual maintenance costs for 31 or 35te?

Post by scotts15 »

I'm considering purchasing a 31 or 35 TE with dual engines and would like to get a sense of the annual costs I should anticipate.
I've owned boats for many years including a trailerable boat with a Volvo D6-310 diesel, epirb and survival raft.
The survival raft servicing costs was pretty high in addition to the annual engine service but I didn't have to deal with bottom paint, slip fees, etc.
I would like to have a sense of what my annual costs will be.
I realize slip fees will depend on where I keep the boat but am interested in what other costs I should expect.
I know that engine service costs will depend on what problems are found, but it would be nice to see what others "normal" Yanmar engine service costs are, how often and how much bottom paint costs are, if diver service is needed and how often and what those costs would be.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Scott
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: Annual maintenance costs for 31 or 35te?

Post by whwells »

Scott: I have only owned my boat for a few months. At least the delivery only happened a few months back.
While I live in No. Calif the boat is moored in Anacortes, Wa. Don't yet know what the annual service will run. However, I would budget 5,000 per year to include R&R those things that will just happen. I do expect that will also handle the full annual maintainance of both Yanmars 315's & its numerous systems.
The bottom will likey need to be done at least every other year. You can estimate 2,000 for that expense plus haul out 300. & 100.00 for blocking. You may have more expense putting the boat back in the water.
You will want to have a diver clean the bottom quarterly at 200.plus with zinc replacements. That coould be a bit more at least once per year.
It won't be cheap but you will love your Albin every your time get to it. Others may be able to show less money on the annual, but my experience with all prior boats is something will happen during the year to get you at least to that point. Their are so manay systems in the boat I am not sure even the 5,000. will do it every year and in fact it probably won't. If it is a boat something will happen. Still there is no more fun place to put your money.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

What does B.O.A.T. stand for.Blow Off Another Thousand.There are a lot of other activities out there that cost as much or more that don't give you the piece of mind and contentment as your boat will.That to me means a whole lot more to me than a couple of grand a year.
Bob
ppmeis
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marinette, WI

Post by ppmeis »

As much as I hate to say it..Plan on a thousand a month. It will often run higher but if you are handy and do a lot yourself it is reasonable to plan on $1,000 per month. The first 2 years of ownership on a used boat will be twice that amount. I'm sure this will start a discussion but it is not cheap, wish it were.. pete
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Some years ago I read a statistic that said figure something like 10% of its value for annual costs. This would be for the credit card boater. Considerable savings can be made if you do alot of the donkey work yourself. Of course, what is your time worth?
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Veebyes2 wrote:Some years ago I read a statistic that said figure something like 10% of its value for annual costs. This would be for the credit card boater. Considerable savings can be made if you do alot of the donkey work yourself. Of course, what is your time worth?
Over the years I've heard that statistic as well. Some years higher, some years lower. Average it out and you're pretty much there. I'm pretty much a DIY guy, but certainly understand my limitations and generally keep that number way down. Last year was a higher year ... being the 10th season: replaced aftercooler (after noticing corrossion around gaskets)/didn't want to delay this one, starter (bit the dust), serpentine belt, hoses & clamps, stripped, barrier coated and painted the bottom paint (wished I had just paid someone), but saved $ 3,000 plus.

It's just like a home ... they say 3 - 5% per year of the bricks and mortar value on repairs & maintenance. Some years there is little and others there's more and deferring will eventually crush you!

Bottom line keep up with things, learn to do some things yourself, and the average is manageable.

Good luck locating and acquiring your new ride! 8)
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Veebyes2 wrote:...figure something like 10% of its value for annual costs.
Wow - my boat must be worth a fortune !!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Mine has cost me nothing since 2006, the last time it has been in the water. As a 1996 boat it is due for serious renovations.

My very rough estimates put the cost at around $30,000, & that is with me doing the non proffesional stuff. Things like complete new cabin fitting out, new canvas, engine haulout to refurb, new hoses, gaskets, fuel tank removal, painting engine compartment add up. Come to think about it, better make that $60,000!!!!!!

Anyone want a fixer upper? Lucky me. Mine sits on my land. Free storage.

Like most DIYers, during the 7 years we used the boat heavily annual winter maintenance costs were under $5,000 haul out to spring splash. We were getting 35-40 overnights per year then.

Home since Dec 06.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “General Discussion”