• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hello all, my first Albin

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Capt Kangeroo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Great Lakes, Canada

Hello all, my first Albin

Post by Capt Kangeroo »

Hello all, just closed the sale on a 1989 Albin 50 (actually 49.9) down in Florida. Now if I can just figure out a way to get it to Canada!! I hope to bring it home in the spring via the Atlantic coast whenever possible & the ICW when the weathers nasty. Ultimately it will end up in Lake Erie for two years then the wife & I are back down to the Gulf to who knows where for who knows how long.

These particular Albins are quite rare it seems as I was not able to find another for sale anywhere to compare it with. It "looks like" a traditional Albin with a similar hull in that it has the trademark deeply flared bow but there the similarity ends. The superstructure and layout are also vastly different. It is definitely not the same hull as the 49's as far as I can tell. There is a 1988 49 for sale in Montreal with a similar superstructure but, again the back half of the hull and superstructure is different. I was told or read somewhere they were built in the Chung HWA yards but have know idea if thats true. I'm guessing this one might have been custom built by Albin for the original owner, I'm the third.

I note another new member Bob from Courtland, also bought an Albin in the USA & brought it back to Canada....... small world, his marina at Turkey Point is just around the corner from mine.

Looking forward to meeting up with other Albin owners. Even though there does not seem to be a category for my boat, I've already made considerable use of the forum and have garnered many good ideas and tips.

Cheers all, Kev
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Hello all, my first Albin

Post by jcollins »

Kev,
Wow. That's a boat! You know we want to see more pictures. If your trip north includes the Chesapeake, let me know.

Congratulations
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

That is a beeeeauty!! Where in Florida? We're in Manatee Pocket, Stuart for the next month or so. The ICW is a nice run from here up to Norfolk, if you have the time. We ran from NYC to Norfolk on the outside. The first two legs weren't bad, but from Ocean City,MD to Norfolk....well....we got beat up pretty bad. But it was also November.
A small chill here this morning....39 degrees...but sure beats below 0 in Bennington!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Hey Kev
Strange more we stay on this site ,the more Albins I'm finding in our own area .Not many mind you,but more keep cropping up.We have a 28 in Port Dover,a 35 in Port Bruce,a 31 in Port Clinton.And my 31 in Turkey Point.We'll have to have our own great lakes rendezvous.By the way Kev I have paper charts for the intercostal waterway from Florida to New York, you may be interested in.No cost.would just like to give them a good home.By the way you have purchased a beautiful boat.
Bob and Val
Capt Kangeroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Kangeroo »

Hi John Bob & tb, thanks for the comments. Not sure if the trip home will include the Chesapeake or Stuart but if I get near either, I would love to hook up with you folks for a visit. While I had indicated the Atlantic ICW I'm wrestling with possibly heading home via the Gulf side ICW Ten-Tom, Mississippi, etc up to Chicago then down & around the Great Lakes to Erie. I'm not certain which way is faster and/or shorter. The boat is currently Gulf side near Tampa, so to do the Atlantic route I would have to drop down & cut across Fla via the Okeechobee to near where you are tb. It's a slow boat (twin turbo 3208s) and I don't have a lot of time to get it home..... still two years away from retirement & casting off the lines for good. Don't know if I'll bring it home in one shot or bring it back in two or three legs. In any case I shudder at the thought of my first fill-up, all told it holds 1000 gal.

Hey Bob, my sincerest thanks for the offer on the paper ICW charts, aside from surprise at such a generous offer, I was delighted as I have been looking & hoping to buy a set that someone was finished with. I couldn't possibly accept them for free but I would dearly like to borrow them or buy them for a fair price if your done with them for good. Perhaps we can hook up for a coffee. By the way, how did you make out with the paperwork side of things bringing your 31 in from the US. I can't recall ever buying anything that required so much paperwork, maybe you missed this hassle by buying privately? Did you get hit with the 9% duty or are the 31s made in the US? Unless I register it in the US I will be looking at an obscene 22% if I bring it home with the intent to leave it here. (13%HST + 9%duty ie:built in Taiwan) By the way, that might be a fun idea to have a Great Lakes Albin Rendezvous.

Cheers Kev

PS: John, attached a few more pics, keep in mind it looks pretty shabby right now. These are survey pics, I haven't set foot on the boat since I bought it and it needs redecorating badly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Looks pretty good. Some new furnishings and curtains and your all set. The canvas looks good in the pictures.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Wonderful Vessel. Let me join all the others by saying that is a great boat and big enough to do whatever from long cruises to a very comfortable liveaboard. Don't recall seeing one of the later model boats in fiberglass of the size although they were made. With the Great Lakes and that large of a boat you have so many options you will be busy for years. Congratulations and we look forward to hearing of your movement home and future travels. Welcome to AOG active owner boaters.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
Trinidad, Ca. Home & Anacortes, WA.
Home Port.
voyages
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St-Charles RIchelieu, Qc

Post by voyages »

Hi Kev, Nice looking boat. Looks like we are going to have a little Albin community in Canada. I just bought a 28te and had it shipped to Montreal. We will be spending the summer at the Cobourg Marina on Lake Ontario fishing salmon and steelhead. If you pass by, stop and say hello and join us for a fishing outing on the lake.
Denis Quenneville
That's Amore!
Montreal
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

WOW! Georgeous boat. No exterior teak worth speaking of. Better still. Back in 1986 there was an Albin 49 here in Bermuda. lots of exterior teak on that one. There is another 49 sundeck here now. It is in very poor condition.

Albins are around. They are hard to find though. To the best of my knowledge we have 11 Albins of various models & states of condiditon here.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Capt Kangeroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Kangeroo »

Hello Howard & Denis, Thanks for the nod of approval Howard, it helps ease the after purchase shock of "Good Lord, what have I done". Hey Denis, I was at your marina in Coburg a few years back, I believe it was around 1978. I'm guessing it has changed a bit since then. Congrats on the 28TE, they seem to me to be the perfect Great Lakes boats for our steep short frequency seas. If we Cannucks keep this up there is going to be a shortage of Albins in the US. Not sure of my route yet but if it ends up I can't get through the Erie Canal due to height and have to detour via Lake Ontario, I just may stop at Coburg since I'm slightly overdue for a visit.

Cheers all, Kev

PS: Veebyes2, with any luck you can add mine to the list there in Bermuda in a year or two. How I envy you!!! In any case, you and I are on the same page..... I love teak but .....been there - done that, I purposefully shopped for a trawler that had as little (exposed) teak as possible. In fact it was #1 on my list. Mind you, the best looking Trawlers "by far" are the ones with teak decks & trim, but I'm just getting to old (lazy?) to maintain it.
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

Con grats on the new boat .Hope to see her up in the bay . Good luck from Scott
& Lise on a 28 in Dover
ppmeis
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marinette, WI

Post by ppmeis »

What a beauty !! Congratulations. I shopped for 3 years before buying my 36 DC. I probably looked at 1,000 on ebay and Yacht trader and the Chris Craft Commanders Club. Personally went on board about 30 boats. The thing I noticed most( and your appears to no exception) is the amount of personal junk people haul on board and leave on board for the pictures and showings. I have been on boats with so many kitchen counter appliances that they had no room for anything else, saw some boats with so much stereo and television equipment that I wonder if they ever left the cabin, saw boats with so much "marine art" hanging and piled into every corner that the boat looked like a garage sale. For actual cruising I find that "Less is More" Make sure you post more pictures as you move in and move stuff out and around and make it yours, it is a beautiful boat. Pete

Return to “New Member Introductions”