• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Life after TaT

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Life after TaT

Post by RicM »

I find myself here in "General Discussion" as there is no real place on the forum for "ex" Albin owners, probably because there are so few ;-) Technically speaking, I'm still an Albin owner, as TaT has not sold yet, but our next series of adventures will begin in earnest this coming Monday, Dec 19th when we head to FL for our first cruise and extended stay on the "new" boat, Air A Fare, a 42' Jersey Sport Fish. I can already hear what you are thinking, "Is he nuts?" Well yes, of course I am, but I like to think it's part of my charm.`I am pretty sure at least a few of you may be interested in our experiences going forward, even if it's a cautionary tale.

Let me just say up front, I was really more interested in a 35 CB as my next boat after our wonderful, reliable, and thrifty 28TE, Time after Time. Miss K however, wanted a "living room" as she called it. The only boat that had a real salon, could be fished, and had space for overnight guests (other than on the kitchen table) was a sport fish. The Jersey Dawn, cousin of the Egg Harbors and Pacemakers of NJ origin, had all the right things in the layout, and was in the price range ($125k +-). So here we are, ready to fly down, pay the yard bill and head from Pt St Lucie to Ft Myers across Okeechobee. Stay tuned.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Life after TaT

Post by RobS »

I know a seasoned salty dawg like yourself does not need the usual "Don't forget to bring this, do that, etc." So all I am gonna say is CONGRATS & ENJOY!!

A dedictated Emeritus or Alumni section on AOG sounds good to me...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Don't forget? God! I fully expect to get half way across the lake and run out of SOMETHING. We have shipped over 25 boxes of crap to the long suffering office staff at 4 Fish Marina in Jensen Beach. In addition we will not have a car in JB as we have no way to get one across to the west coast. We shipped Miss K's car down on a truck last week and will pick it up in Ft Myers when we get there. Rent - a - wreck wanted $1200 for 2 weeks over Christmas, we shipped her car for $700 and will just leave it at the Marina in Ft Myers for the season. This whole expedition is taking on the elements and scope of a third world safari. Cowabunga!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Post by efishnsea »

Ric Keep on posting your adventure. I greatly enjoyed last winters posts and will look forward to seeing more. Enjoy your new toy and safe cruising. Bob
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

All the best on your new venture Ric, hope you still stay in touch.I really appreciated your input with some of the questions I had asked in the few short months I have been with this forum.
Bob
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Do stay in touch. We will all enjoy hearing of your new and continuing boating experiences.
whwells "Howard"
35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

Congratulations on your new boat, Ric. As an honored Emeritus and with your wife's car in Ft Myers, you are cordially invited to the Florida AOG rendezvous at Cape Harbor, just West of Cape Coral and a short drive/cruise from Ft Myers, March 24-27, 2012. Good luck with your major move and welcome to Florida, the land of perpetual boating!!
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Good Luck with your new adventure. Our final destination is P.S.L. Right now were at the Vero Beach City Docks til Tuesday. We're going to go looking around by car at some marinas to see what we can find for the winter. Have fun!!!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Hey Ric

Congrats on the new boat!
My family will be in Florida during the holidays. Spending the earlier part in Okeechobee then onto Orlando for the new years. If you run into trouble, I'm a phone call away. (I'll pm you my cell phone)

Gery
Resolution 28TE
Gery, Anne, Marissa and Gabby.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

We'll be looking for you! Merry Christmas to the whole crew!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Indiantown, just east of Okeechobee. Bright chatty brits and no woolen mittens. Stopped here at about mile 30 of the Okeechobee Waterway. We got a late start waiting for the yard manager at 4 Fish to show and the complexities of the new vessel mean that everything takes a little longer. Indiantown Marina is really the only stop this side of the lake and is quite a menagerie of misfits, lunatics and chatty brits that have “sailed from the Irish Sea to Turkey” but ended up here. We will just be spending one night as we head toward the “Heart of Darkness” that can only be a family Christmas in Ft Myers. We are going to take it in 3 hops, to go easy and enjoy. Dockage is very reasonable here, $1/ft, and $10 for 50A.

I managed to get sideways in the St Lucie lock yesterday, an embarrassing but not expensive mistake. Although the doors had fully opened we seemed trapped in some kind of giant swirly that made the boat difficult to control. We probably should have stayed tied up longer and let things settle down, but then hindsight is always more accurate. Oh well.
Living aboard is quite delightful however, and we are falling into a routine. I have even managed to get a little work done. There will be plenty of time for that in Ft Myers.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Made Ft Myers at about 12:30 Thursday and I'm still looking for the canons. Legacy Harbor Marina is a great place and there's a joe's crab shack next door so Miss K is in heaven. Getting into the swing of 1980's yacht design, and it's a whole different world boyo's, believe me when I tell you. As a condo, this is the tits. Plenty o' room, plenty o' teak, plenty o' shear macho sneer at the world decadence.
The 40 gallon holding tank seemed large to us after a 10 G Vacuflush, but the Galley Maid shit funnel uses about 4 gallons a flush, so you do the math.That may be the first big upgrade. I'm particular about where I sits, if you know what I mean.
No matter, after a few martini's I could not resist the urge to "Tebow" in the new salon so I indulged myself...
Kiss my New England, puritan bum, Timmy. Trust me, we went that road in the sixteen hundreds and we just ended up with some crispy witches and a bad reputation.

Oh and yes, speaking of burning stuff, "fuel burn" is nowhere near an accurate description of what goes on at 20 knots on Air A Fare. There are dead dinosaurs whose souls have been launched into heaven in the last few days that never expected to see the light of day in this millennium or the next. They weren't doing anyone any good in the ground anyway, I suppose. Now if we could just get the dead dinosaurs to eat that highly diluted human waste and excrete jet fuel we'd have us a sustainable business model.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Florida Christmas. Odd. We wish for change, search for adventure, then miss the traditions. Lots of nice people on the docks, but now at 2AM Christmas Day After, there is someone in the neighborhood playing loud rap music that is echoing through the canyons of beautiful downtown Ft Myers. Sounds like the cops are chasing them, sometimes sirens and the music stops then the sirens stops and the music restarts, seemingly from a different direction. There's something about Christmas that takes everyone out of their habits and comfort zone, more self medication, more feeling sorry for oneself. Loud drunks at the restaurant tonight, but hey it 's Christmas , leave em alone. Didn't help to go see "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" at the movies first. Lot's of unsettling imagery there. Then out for Chinese, slightly unsettled stomach here.

We were not invited to Miss K's sister's house for Christmas dinner due to an old slight and grudge still held by her brother-in-law. That's unsettling as well. If it was ever going to end you'd think it would on Christmas, but you never get everything you wished for. We have been able to spend lots of time with Miss K's Mom, Lee, and that's been worth it all.

Apparently there is an AOG member nearby who is friends with some folks on our dock. We are going to try to get together sometime this week. The AOG just keeps on giving, even to fools like me. The music is gone, the police action over. Back to bed for me. Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a goodnight.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

due to an old slight and grudge still held by her brother-in-law. That's unsettling as well
Hi Ric,
I do know the feeling. I usually stay out of issues on Sharon's side of the family. This year though, I had to play the mean uncle/brother-in-law/great-uncle, and remind everyone what Christmas is really about. I'm fortunate that we pulled the family together for at least one very enjoyable day. Now the rest of the year...

Merry Christmas to you and Miss K. I hope your enjoying your new digs.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Al O Fish Us
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Punta Gorda, Florida

Post by Al O Fish Us »

Welcome to Florida! Life changes! Lots of Albins down here.

Return to “General Discussion”