• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hull Identification number descrepancy

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

dinkinsranch
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: San Carlos, Sonora Mexico

Hull Identification number descrepancy

Post by dinkinsranch »

I am in the process of buying a 31 TE and have run into a snag. I need to register the boat in Colorado. Colorado won't register the boat because they say there is a discrepancy in the Hull Identification Number format. The last 4 digits of the HIN are H598. The H is for the month (August); The 5 is for year built (1995) followed by the 98 which is also the year built and what they say is the discrepancy. If I can show that other Albins have the same HIN discrepancy, it will help my case. Does anyone else have a discrepancy between the 3rd to the last digit (year build) and the last two digits (year built). Thanks for checking.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Hull Identification number descrepancy

Post by jleonard »

My previous boat a 1978 Mainship had a descepancy but it was never an issue with the state of Ct.
The hull was laid in 1977 thus it had a "normal" number sequence for that year, then -78 34T was hand drawn in the gelcoat with what looked like a dremel tool (because the boat was actually built in 1978).
I'm surprised it was never questionned.

Hope yours is easy to solve.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

According to this link http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm the H598 means August 5th 1998. If the boat is going to be kept in Mexico, why not document it instead?
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
dinkinsranch
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: San Carlos, Sonora Mexico

Post by dinkinsranch »

Yes we decided to Document instead. Thanks.
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Russell wrote:According to this link http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm the H598 means August 5th 1998. If the boat is going to be kept in Mexico, why not document it instead?
That's not correct. H598 is as the said - Hull laid in August 1995, Model year 1998.

If it possible the hull was painted and the H7 is actually H8? (Unlikely because Albin started the model year in August.)

What is the entire hull number? Maybe it's possible some members have boats on either side of it.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

I agree with Tuxedo, the H5 means August 1995. Are you sure that the last digit is an 8, and not really a 6 ? Just like cars, building of the early 1996 models actually began the year before. If your last four digits were H596, then that would make more sense. The last8 two digits are the model year. I doubt that a 1998 model had its hull laid and construction begin in 1995.

Return to “General Discussion”