• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Changing over holding tank

Albin's "power cruisers"
imagine30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Newport, RI

Changing over holding tank

Post by imagine30 »

Thinking of winter/spring projects and changing over the waste holding tank to a larger one is on top of list. Looks like the existing tank is somewhere between 11-13 gals. Available space would seen to accomodate at least a 20 gal tank. Any thoughts or advice before I get too far along with this messy task.
J O'Brien
WHISKEY ONE
Albin 27 FC, 1986
Coasters Harbor Marina
Naval Station Newport
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Re: Changing over holding tank

Post by Veebyes2 »

Is there enough room to gey it past the engine? Mine had a Westerbeke W100 engine. Tank change, even if I wanted to was not possible. I bought my 27 new in 1986. Here in Bermuda holing tank use is not required, nowhere to pumpout anyway, so I ran a hose from the bottom of my never used holding tank to the water tank giving me 15 or more gallons of fresh water.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
NantucketTexas
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Austin, Texas

Post by NantucketTexas »

Imagine30, Did you ever figure out your new holding tank and where to put it? I have a 25 DeLuxe 1977 and I'm in a "clean lake" now. It used to be a salt water system, but I need to convert to fresh water. Would love to hear or see images of what you did... I know our boats are different, but I could be inspired by your success. :)
leprof31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by leprof31 »

If you read this topic , you will find a post with links about installing holding tanks on A25.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3733

Dont forget, you can use flexible holding tank too!
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Don from Mystic »

I replaced both fresh water tanks as well as the holding tank on my 1983 27 f/c. I have the small diesel so there was plenty of access to the tanks. At that time, Todd industries from RI was selling both standard and custom (overruns for Mfg's) on Ebay. I purchased the over run tanks for a small fraction of even the best catalog prices. They went in easy and only required new stainless strapping bands and fittings. If you cant find them on ebay Im sure you could write to Todd - they were very helpful.
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

I'm not sure of your configuration, but our A 27 family cruiser came to us with the Westerbeke 100 engine and a very small holding tank - ~12 gals. We found the size to be intolerable after a couple of seasons and Ron put its replacement on high priority for winter projects. He removed the old tank by cutting an opening through the storage area under the seat on the starboard side of the wheelhouse and pulled it out through the opening at the end of HIS bunk. The new tank - 24 gals - custom made to fit (from a cardboard template) was installed through the same opening (slid in from the bunk end) - a hatchway with lock and handle was then made to close the cut-out. It all worked out very well - especially since it all happened over the captain's bunk!

Marcy K
1986 A 34 Paumanok
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

If removal of the tank whole is impossible, a Sawsall will make quick work of it to allow it to be removed in pieces.
imagine30
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by imagine30 »

I have fabricated a cardboard markup of a 20 gal tank that measures 24x16x12. Hope to get to the boat this weekend and see if I can get it by the Nissan.
J O'Brien
WHISKEY ONE
Albin 27 FC, 1986
Coasters Harbor Marina
Naval Station Newport
johnvb1014
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Wilson NY

Post by johnvb1014 »

I am doing the same job on my '85 27ft family cruiser. I bought the Todd tank, same dimensions you list, and took it up to the boat today. I also have Nissan diesel and it goes by the engine and into place with no problem. Will also be replacing the head next spring. That space is small, only 17" width. I measured, and purchased, the Raritan compact head, but have not yet tested it in the boat. Any experience with this?

John VB
Lockport NY
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

John, Read my posts re electric head conversion/installation. I looked at the Raritan and got the detailed dimensions for it off their website. It would fit in my 83. I did go with the TMC conversion unit as it was significantly cheaper and the existing china bowl was in good cond. The unit has met my expectations.
imagine30
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by imagine30 »

Finally got to the boat and tried the cardboard markup of a 20 gal. tank. Gets by the Nissan and into available space with a little wiggle room to spare. Removed existing tank. Not quite as messy as I anticipated. Ordered the replacement tank which probably won't get here until the cold weather really sets in so it will probably get installed in the Spring. Measurements on the existing tank indicates it was only 9 gals.!
J O'Brien
WHISKEY ONE
Albin 27 FC, 1986
Coasters Harbor Marina
Naval Station Newport
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

imagine30 wrote:Measurements on the existing tank indicates it was only 9 gals.!
Yikes! That's potentially one happy meal away from a disaster!! :oops:

You will like the "upgrade".
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
NantucketTexas
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Austin, Texas

Post by NantucketTexas »

Has anyone in the Albin 25 club :) used the flexible holding tanks for waste as a salt water system to "clean lakes" conversion solution? Any tips or ideas around the "flexible bladder" method... ? Thanks for all of the ideas. ---
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

NantucketTexas wrote:... flexible holding tanks for waste as a salt water system to "clean lakes" conversion solution?
Not certain what you're looking for here. My brother uses a flexible holding tank on his sailboat but it's not clear to me if you're looking for a blackwater or a graywater system.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
AKDW
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SEWARD

Post by AKDW »

I have a 27 family cruiser with the Westerbeke 100. There was still room to install a 28 gal holding tank on the starboard side.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”