• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Heading South

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Heading South

Post by tbnolin »

Well, we did it. The house is on the market and we have started our trip south. We started out last Thursday from the Schuyler Yacht Basin and made it down to Liberty Landing Marina in three days. NYC to Atlantic City was a long rolling ride. Doable by all means, just a little too much up and down side to side action...4-6 footers on not high on my list when it comes to traveling!
Our trip from AC down to Ocean City, MD was a much smoother ride and shorter. Unfortunately, we've been here since Tuesday and it dose'nt look like we'll be leaving before Saturday when the seas are down to 2-4'. I will say though, the weather has just been just gorgeous, with the exception of today. Nice walks on the beach and boardwalk, long bike rides, catching up on some cleaning...a nice relaxing time.
Our next segment will take us down to Norfolk where we'll start the using the ICW. We aren't on a schedule and don't really have much of a time frame, as long as we make it to the warmer temps before it snows....again!

If anyone has any do's and don'ts they would like to share, we would appreciate it.

We'll keep you in touch,

Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Heading South

Post by RobS »

tbnolin wrote:...We aren't on a schedule and don't really have much of a time frame.....
Gotta love that!
Enjoy & be safe.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

RobS wrote:
tbnolin wrote:...We aren't on a schedule and don't really have much of a time frame.....
Gotta love that!
Enjoy & be safe.
That's the way to travel. Looks like Saturday is the day to leave.
Gale warning today.
Coastal Waters From Fenwick Island De To Chincoteague Va Out To 20 Nm-
Today
NW winds 25 to 30 kt with gusts to 35 kt...becoming W 20 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt in the afternoon. Seas 6 to 8 ft with a dominant period of 11 seconds...subsiding to 5 to 6 ft with a dominant period of 11 seconds in the afternoon.
Tonight
W winds 15 to 20 kt. Gusts up to 30 kt in the evening. Seas 3 to 4 ft with a dominant period of 12 seconds.
Sat
SW winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 3 to 4 ft.
Sat Night
SW winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 3 to 4 ft.
Sun
SW winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 4 to 5 ft.

Thanks for taking us with you.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

I always went trhu the C&D canal on to Annapolis; weather not that much of a factor. Too late now you'll have to wait it out. The City Marina on the east side in Norfolk is great and plenty of stuff right downtown, including the battleship memorial.
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure where to head when we did hit Norfolk. I'm finding out, marinas are'nt too busy this time of year....at least around here. Saturday morning is our morning to head out. Hoping for a smooth ride.

Thanks for the input

JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mantoloking, NJ

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

I am glad to hear from you, have been wondering where you were!!
You blew by me several days ago when you passed the Manasquan Inlet , 4-6 foot is pretty typical off NJ this time of year , if I recall I believe there was a west wind which would add a little rock and roll. My experience has been that the 40 does not mind those seas at all. It will taker alot more than you and I probably care to experience.
I do not have much experience from Ocean City south so the best I can do is to wish you fair seas and clear sailing, keep us posted would like to make that run some day too.
Would be curious on your cruising speed and fuel consumption?

Best of luck, Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

We all wish you well and lots of enjoyment. Be cautious and wait for the good seas. Sounds like great fun.
whwellls "Howard"
35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
"Nibbles" Home port Anactores, Wa.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

You are a few weeks late. We could have waved as you went by Indian River or Assategue SP. I also wonder why you did not do the less weather dependent Chesapeake route. lots of interesting places to stop that way.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Well, we made it to Norfolk. Holy crap was that a ride!! We left from Ocean City at 6:30 am and at noon, Brenda said this would be the last time we do this!! It was close to a "day from he'll!" The 2-4 footers were all of that. What made things worst, the gentle sea breeze was out of the south at 15-25 knots. Waves over the bow and spray up and over the upper helm enclosure. It was not one of our better rides....9 hours of rough seas! The boat handled extremely well...it was the interior that got trashed! The worst damage was our new 32" flat screen that crashed down on the lower helm station....it's no more...dumpster material. We arrived safe and sound and spent today recouping.

As far as doing the coast as opposed to doing the Delaware Bay, across and down the Chesapeake....well, hindsight is 20/20!! When we left AC and got to Cape May we decided to keep going because it really wasn't the bad. Getting a late start, we thought it would be faster to get to Norfolk down the coast.....wrong! Lesson learned.

Leaving Monday am for Coinjock. Should be a whole lot smoother from here on in, I hope!!

Stay tuned....
JerseyNSC40 wrote:I am glad to hear from you, have been wondering where you were!!
You blew by me several days ago when you passed the Manasquan Inlet , 4-6 foot is pretty typical off NJ this time of year , if I recall I believe there was a west wind which would add a little rock and roll. My experience has been that the 40 does not mind those seas at all. It will taker alot more than you and I probably care to experience.
I do not have much experience from Ocean City south so the best I can do is to wish you fair seas and clear sailing, keep us posted would like to make that run some day too.
Would be curious on your cruising speed and fuel consumption?

Best of luck, Craig

tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Hey there Craig!

Fuel consumption that we got was to be expected. Here's what we have come with so far:

Days 1-2 going down the Hudson...1100rpms 9.5 knots, 4gph.

Going on the outside to AC...2100rpms, 12knots, 10gph and about the same from AC to Ovean City.

Now, from OC to Norfolk, that one was a little little more costly.

2300rpms, doing 13.5 knots, 18gph, about 105 miles

I guess for having twin 370's, it's not all that bad. Should be back down to 3-5gph from here on in for a while.

Hope all is well...I did wave as we went by and told Brenda that you were over ther somewhere!

Chester B

Post by Chester B »

Hi there, we did the trip from VA to FL this spring and created a small blog of the trip. You may find some of the anchorages/marinas we used of interest. See http://chesterbvoyage.blogspot.com/ for the blog. Use the Archive selection on the right to start at the beginning. Enjoy the trip - but don't rush like we had to.
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Thanks Chester for the info.

We made it down to Coinjock. Took a bit longer then expected. Bridges were our hold up. We did get a kick out of the lock we had to pass through. As we six boaters approached the lock, the lockmaster was on the radio telling all of us what was to be expected..."you need extra long lines, you can go to either side of the lock, a minimum of 2 fenders need to be out and if you leave the helm and come outside, you need a life vest on." Being from the upper Hudson and used to going through the locks on our own with no help from the lockmaster and with lifts from 10' to 18' we thought this was going to be quite a lift....nope...all of 1 foot!! Could not believe the formalities, didn't even feel the motion of the boat going up. But no one got hurt and there were no "man overboards"! that's what counts.

Looks like we'll spend a day or two here and then head for....somewhere.

Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

If you have not left Coinjock, please be careful crossing Albemarle Sound. Then plan a day at Beaufort N.C. You may anchor just off the docks or take a slip. It is an interesting water town and you can borrow a car at the museum for shopping. But again watch your markers carefully as you cross Pamlico Sound. It can get rough. Later, Alligator River Marina is a good fuel stop and overnight. Used to be the cheapest fuel on the ICW. Charleston may be a bit pricey on a budget, but give it a day and reprovision. Then you are heading for the nicest town (and anchorage) on the way south- Beaufort, S.C. Plan to spend a day or two there and walk the waterfront homes, beautiful old ante-bellum three story southern homes amidst moss laden oaks. The city dock is cheap, has fuel and you can anchor just off it and dinghy in to a free dock. Don't miss this spot and enjoy its atmosphere. There is also a small shop that sells the best grits you will ever taste(by the bag):"Savor the Flavor", 800-390-8027, if it hasn't changed. Near Savannah, tie up at the isle of Hope and take the city bus from the corner into Savannah to do a walk about. Again, along the waterfront bt the Isle of Hope, enjoy the homes dating from the late 1700-1800's, many of which were summer homes for the wealthy of Savannah. You can also anchor by the Isle of Hope,but beware of the tugs and their tows passing by. On south, stay at the city marina in Fernandina Beach. Enjoy the cruise. Lots of us are envious! Fair winds....
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mantoloking, NJ

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Thanks for the report Tom, sounds like you are doing pretty well on fuel , when we came home from New England we were averaging about 14 knots and getting about 15 gph, on a mixed tank with some idle in there too! The problem is these 40's actually like to go faster i have opened it up to 22 knots for a brief time, did not want to calculate that one!!

We are all envious please stay safe, sounds like some really good advise from Chuck. I am coming out of the water shortly. In 3 months as we hit March will start working to get in again while you will be resting comfortably on the beach!!!
Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
Chester B

Post by Chester B »

Another thought: if you can find them, try to pick up one or more of the Skipper Bob's guides. They are sometimes available at West Marine or marinas. We used the anchorage guide extensively and there is also one for facilities. Good info on bridge openings, grocery stores, etc. Well worth the money if you can find them. Enjoy the ride!

Return to “General Discussion”