• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

front nav lights

special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

front nav lights

Post by special k »

while black fishing with my 28 te i use a wreck anchor with a ball for retrieving. sunday i got the anchor stuck in some nasty rocks and while motoring around it trying free it the anchor line pulled tight to my port nav light and broke it off. i never had a problem using this anchor system but now i am faced with replacing this nav light.

question 1: are replacement original equipment units available? they seem to be larger than most.

2: i don't see how to remove these units even for bulb replacement

i saw that ric replaced his bulbs with led's, perhaps a suggestion on removing the unit.

thanks all!
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Re: front nav lights

Post by Old School »

I'm very interested in replacement of these items as well.
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

I replaced mine last year. They are Aqua Signal 25 Series and are available at most marine supply places. I believe West Marine has them. For LED there are two choices. Aqua Signal has LED lights but I'm not sure they mount the same. You may have to drill new holes. The other option is to buy LED replacement bulbs. They are available from a few different manufacturers. I saw some yesterday at the Annapolis Sailboat Show. I can't remember the maker but I have the brochure at home and will post it later. They make a version that is a direct replacement for the Aqua Signal bulb.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

I made a mistake in the post above. The nav lights are Aqua Signal Series 41. They are 25 watts.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

thanks all! very informative and helpful. also great direction to the older discussion on this subject because i, too, could not see the screw from my deck.
always great having the experience of all on this forum!
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

I replaced my nav lights on both sides with these:
http://search.defender.com/?expression=700832+&x=0&y=0

They are a bit pricey, but it's a lifetime fix. My port side light got rubbed off by the mooring pendant during our bout with Irene, the old lights stick out far enough that a line on the bow cleat will pop them off clean. I have had regular problems with the bulbs burning out, corrosion on the contacts etc. and just wanted to be done. The Hella lights above are a little smaller, and flatter so the line issue is resolved, and these units are sealed and weather proof. You do have to drill a new hole for the wire to pass through into the anchor locker, but that's easy and the new light covers all the old holes. I put a big bead of silicone on the back, fed the wires through the new hole and screwed it down tight. It's all easy access through the anchor locker doors to hook up the wiring. The new units are sleeker looking, brighter, and will supposedly last 50,000 hours. I checked into LEDs for the old fixtures, but that still left you with unsealed contacts that inevitably corrode and fail before the LEDS themselves burn out.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Anthony1013 »

I replaced all my nav lights with Hella Marine LED's... they're fantastic and super bright.
28' Albin "MadMoney" in Ilwaco/Seattle
CCA Member & PSA Sno-King Member
addon323
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Ann Marina, Gloucester, MA

Post by addon323 »

My starboard nav light broke and I am looking to replace all of my navigation lights with leds. I know this post is old and was wondering if people are still replacing the original aqua signal 41 series with either the aqua signal 43 series or switched to the Hella Marine series. I would also like a new mast light that includes a front light, anchor light and a strobe. Any suggestions?
Family Ties
2000 31' Albin w/ Single Cummins 450 HP
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

addon323 wrote:My starboard nav light broke and I am looking to replace all of my navigation lights with leds. I know this post is old and was wondering if people are still replacing the original aqua signal 41 series with either the aqua signal 43 series or switched to the Hella Marine series. I would also like a new mast light that includes a front light, anchor light and a strobe. Any suggestions?
I'm pretty sure that Ric was one of the first to go with the Hella Pro port and starboard running nav lights. Here's a link / with some pictures from Rob / one of the responses talks about the Atwood LED all around & masthead light / I put that on my 31:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5279&p=31157&hilit=Hella#p31157

Hella Pro (sleeker & alot less money than the Aqua Signal 43):

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=586046

Atwood - All around & steaming masthead:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=2376720
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
addon323
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Ann Marina, Gloucester, MA

Post by addon323 »

Great, thank you. I will go with the Hell Marine Pro instead.

In regards to the mast light, has anyone found a mast light that also has a strobe feature or is this something I would have to add as a separate light?

I would like to use a strobe light when drifting at night instead of just the regular white light.
Family Ties
2000 31' Albin w/ Single Cummins 450 HP

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”