• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

SIDE & TRANSOM CUSHION FOR RAILS

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

SIDE & TRANSOM CUSHION FOR RAILS

Post by whwells »

One of my side cushions was lost in transit. They are just velco attached and should have been removed.
The rest or in new conditon. Tried to find them by topic unsuccessfully. However, I am using the wrong search words it seems. Do recall these were discussed sometime back. Anyone know if they are still available through the original or other manufacturer? I am mising the side cushion on the starboard side. The trim color is oster.
whwells "Howard"
35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
"Nibbles"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: SIDE & TRANSOM CUSHION FOR RAILS

Post by RicM »

I think you are talking about the "coaming bolsters". The original manufacturer, Bristol Cushions, is still in business and can make you exact copies in any original color or custom colors. Not cheap, but good.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I had all my bolsters ,port, starboard and stern redone by my local canvass guy. matched up the velcro even sturdier than originals. Total cost $240 for about 18 feet of cushions
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Oh yeah, I would probably just have a local guy do my next set, and use the sliding rail system rather than screws or velcro. If he is trying to match the originals though, Bristol Cushions is the place to go....
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Mahalo: Your price is really low. Very good local price. Was that just for new covers with the pads and backing still good? They did not give me a price but did not expect to match the original oyster color well. Just would do their best. Probably will try that as the others are perfect. One of the other posts was for 650.00 for the set at Bristols. That does not seem completely out of line eiher- but much more and it will be. Thanks for the reply I think your 31 would be pretty close to the same size as the 35.
Howard
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Yes, I too called Bristal and was told I would be called back but never received a call so I contacted my canvass guy out of City Island.. His turnaround was about 2 weeks. Yes he usede the inside foam & replaced all covers. I was actually surprised at the price. I wanted to do the slide track but he said since the foam looks fine it would be easier & cheaper just to replace.
I think I must have cleaned the older one with some bleach containing product which discolored the in spots. Call around, I am sure most competant upolsterers can easily reproduce from the remaning bolsters..,,, especially when they are hungry for work off season. Eddy
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
poillon1

Post by poillon1 »

Oscar was very nice but we were far from thrilled by the job they did on our bolsters. Local guy did much better job. Go with the slide, it is worth it!
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

RicM & poillom1: Would you two share with me the slid recomendations. Sounds like a metal grove or something to carry the bolsters in. Have not seen them here but does not mean there are not around,
Howard
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

My local canvas/upholsterer has recommend that I replace mine not using the the existing screw method or the sliding track. He builds the new bolsters onto a plastic composite backboard, something like starboard but not has heavy as starboard. Stainless anchors are then mounted in the fiberglass gunnels and the bolsters slide down and snap onto the anchors. They can be removed for future recovering. We have been using him for almost 20 years and his work is second to none. But it don't come cheap. For the three new bolsters (foam included) built on the composite backboards, stainless hardware, etc. his price is $1,000. He states the composite backboard materials cost approx $250. So if you back that out of the equation he's not far off from Bristol and the end result will be far better. He states it will result in a cleaner look than the sliding tracks and will never sag as it's built on it's own backboard.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Has anyone come up with a foam replacement that does not absorb water? Mine must weigh about 20lbs each due to water absorption, and will get you wet when leaning on them. I have some stitching that needs to be fixed, and thought I might get the foam replaced if there is an alternative.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

Carl, get closed cell foam. I think most boat cushion places should have it. I've seen cockpit cushions for sailboats that use it. With the closed cell foam each air pocket is sealed, so it's not like a sponge.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Lou: Your response to Carl is very helpful. One of the boats I looked at on Long Island this past spring had soaked cushions that had not been removed and then froze over the winter. They were a mess. I left them on Nibbles while up at BC. Thinking they should not come off. After the boat gets to Anacortes it will be moored under cover and should be fine. However there has been lots of rain the past few days and I am hopeful they remain okay. So when replacing will ask about "closed cell foam". Thank you for the advise to us.
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

Hi all,

In the Northwest with our rain, the bolsters really take a beating in the winter. We left ours on the first winter and they were soaked in the spring. I removed them and left them off the boat the entire season. They are reasonably dry now and in good shape. Even though the cockpit is now covered with a bimini top, I plan to remove them and the engine box cushion every winter.

If ours need to be replaced, I'll check into that closed cell foam. In fact, it would be a good idea to replace the engine box foam soon. Thanks all for the great information on this topic!
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

I've asked for a custom size quote from these guys to replace my model yr 2000 vintage stock pads. http://www.seadek.com/PageCoamingPads.html
and will post their quote when available.
Seems a little thinner but a easy solution if priced right.
STAY TUNED.

10-25-11 edit. I should have mentioned that I only am requesting pricing for replacing two side pads not along transom. I have a Gatsby edition with permanent bench along transom and no pad.

10-17-11
They responded very quickly at $219 for white on white pads. Seems reasonable for closed cell foam, stick on pads. Down side is that they're only 20mm thick Vs. 3 inches for OEM by Bristol but won't get water logged.

Chris,
I sent you a quote earlier for 72" x 6" =$235. Here is the quote for 2 @ 72" x 5" = $219.00.
Thank you,
Susan Wilson
SeaDek
Last edited by OldDemps on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
gvare
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Belvedere, CA

Post by gvare »

I have a 2001 30TE which I brought from Florida to SF Bay in 2006. After 2 years out here with rain in winter, the bolsters were soaked. I put grommet holes in the bottom which allowed them to drain out and stay reasonably dry. After another two years, they started falling apart, so I removed them and placed ss screws in the attachment holes as opposed to any glass repair. Very happy without bolsters, no discomfort while fishing, cockpit looks great. George

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”