• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

FUEL TANKS

ace
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Tampa, FL

FUEL TANKS

Post by ace »

I have been looking for a 36. It appears that early 1980's vintage Albins have steel fuel tanks that are near the end of there useful life. The post on replacing these tanks scare the hell out me and is a job way above my ability. Has anybody had this job done by a yard in recent years and if so what is the real cost. Thanks, Alan
edgarcia737
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle, WA

Re: FUEL TANKS

Post by edgarcia737 »

My mom's boat was done in 2008. She told me the bill was $32k. But that included fuel tank fabrication, engine removal, new hoses and lines. They lost close to 300 gals of fuel which ended up in the bilges.
ace
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by ace »

$32,000. !!!!! OMG
edgarcia737
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by edgarcia737 »

yep, i have a copy of the invoice. I felt it was a bit high but my folks are older and may have been taken advantage of.
ace
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by ace »

I was hoping it was a typo. That sure adds significant value to a boat that has already had the iron tanks replaced. Even if the yard doubled the price on your folks it is still crazy. The average selling price is around 65k for a primo 36. I looked at a super boat (1981) that had new tanks and fiberglas decks for 59k asking price. Thanks for the info.
edgarcia737
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by edgarcia737 »

The Surveryor commented that since the tanks had been replaced, it does add some value to the boat. He also mentioned that on the older taiwanese boats, its only a matter of time until they do fail. Our 43' appraised at $72k. Which I feel is a bit wishful in todays economy.
ace
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by ace »

This is from an ad on craigslist for a 36 GB out in WA.
Drastic reduction again-divorce sale-Twin fresh water cooled 120 Lehman diesels-radar-generator-GPS-autopilot-windlass-covered moorage-new400 gallon fuel tanks(labor & materials cost $30k)

So I think you hit it right on the nose Ed.
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Hi, I have just replaced my fuel tanks and have made a DVD of the entire process. This is a job you can actually do yourself so let me know if you want a copy. Regards, Sebastian

Return to “36/37/40/43”