• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

SUZUKI 2.5 WATER COOLED V 2.0 HONDA AIRCOOLED

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

SUZUKI 2.5 WATER COOLED V 2.0 HONDA AIRCOOLED

Post by whwells »

As the result all of the help on the 2.0 HP Honda I did some more checking. As it were Suzuki makes a water cooled 2.5 and the weight is 30. pounds so not bad. Price is just a bit higher but not much. Fuel is contained in the unit. Really not excited about a separate tank. Did not know you could not lay them down, but makes good sense. That is part of what is so good about the group - when you don't think it through someone else has been there very often.

There is also a Suzuki 4.0 with forward/reverse water cooled. Weights 50 pounds. Little heavier than I want but nice features. The new prices range 899.00 including shipiment for the honda to 1299. plus shipment for the 4.0. About a 1025. for the Suzuki 2.5 plus shipment

Still thinking. Appreciate the thoughts.

whwells "Howard'
35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
"Nibbles"
Last edited by whwells on Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Re: SUZAKI 2.5 WATER COOLED V 2.0 HONDA AIRCOOLED

Post by dkircher »

Howard,

I guess I missed you on your way through here. Out boat is in the Port of Poulsbo Marina, so I hope to catch you next time.

We bought a new 2 HP Honda at the beginning of this year. Great little engine. I like the air cooling even though it is a little noisier than water cooled. Advantages include no impeller, no saltwater in the engine and four stroke, no oil mixing. I have been told repeatedly to use ethanol free gasoline. I get it at the marina.

The owners manual says you can lay the engine on its side. I have done that in my car for hours with no leakage of fuel or oil. There is only one side you are supposed to lay the engine on. It is clear from the plastic supports on the down side.

Let me know if you want more information.

Dave
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: SUZAKI 2.5 WATER COOLED V 2.0 HONDA AIRCOOLED

Post by whwells »

Dave: Thank you for the advise. Truth is you don't use the dingy engines much. Had the same concerns about salt water/ would I need to pull it put in a 5 gallon fresh water tank to clean before storing. A lot of work. So maybe a little extra noise is worth it. Still have the small elec. trolling motor but the battery is a serious pain.
The sale price ends Sat. The price of 899. is 100. off and includes shipment and no sales taxes if I send up to Brookings, Or. where I have kept Miss Pearl up until a couple months or so ago. They still accept my shipping there.
Will be in Silverdate/Bremerton on the way up to get ready to move "Nibbles" down to Anacortes soon - I hope next weekend. Need to stop at Sunset Yachat Sales in Gig Harbor to fire up the Luhrs engines on the way up or back. As I recall you are in Gig Harbor. Have time for lunch or a beer or both? Send me a personal note and I will share the cell number with you. My good friend lives in Silverdale. Have been breaking up the drive staying over with him. Great area.
whwells "Howard"
'Nibbles"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: SUZUKI 2.5 WATER COOLED V 2.0 HONDA AIRCOOLED

Post by whwells »

Dave: Well I decided on the Honda 2hp. The source only takes tel call orders. Well, the sale price ended Sat. but the date given was 9-25 Sun. The price of 899. incl delivery was very good with a 100. factory rebate a a part of the deal. Well, I delayed too long and the price is up again. Will keep looking unless they honor the price on Monday.
whwells "Howard"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

I've got the Honda 2hp. It's a great little motor, and I always use 10% ethanol fuel. So far....no issues. However, I ALWAYS use treated fuel. (Startron)

When I was looking a few years ago, I went ot the Suzuki dealer. A young fellow waited on me...and to my surprise he said, "don't buy the 2.5hp, they corrode in one year and you'll have to get it repaired every year on warrantee."
Hmmmmm, I went with the Honda.
As reported, a little louder, but I still like it.

Here is my routine:
When shutting down for the day, turn off fuel supply lever and let it run out, which takes longer than one might expect. 3-4 minutes at cruise speed, and more if just idling. Then close off fuel cap vent. This prevents ANY GAS from leaking when resting on the pads on it's starboard side.
Hose down the lower portion to rid any salt.
The Honda runs a long time on a quart of gas........you'll be surprised. The centrifugal clutch is fantastic.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

BoB: Thank you for info on the corrision issue on the Suzuki. I had decided that not having to flesh it down was reason enough to go with the Honda. Now for sure. Have located new one for 899. inc. shipment. Looks to be a good price. The special ended Sat. but I could not get through to them so they will I think give me the price now. A Honda it is. Dave also felt strongly about that motor. All your help is appreciated. Good advise on shut down as well. I did some special things to my Luhrs to allow flush down of the salt water exchange. Plan to bring that up to the group for their thoughts with the Yanmar 315's.
whwells "Howard"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

UPDATE: Ordered the Honda 2hp air cooled today. Will see how it goes next season. Really don't expect to get much use this year's shortening season.
whwells "Howard"
Bo Pop Pop
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Lake Washington, WA

Post by Bo Pop Pop »

Hi Howard -

I just saw your older post about the little Honda 2hp. I too have owned one for a few years. A NICE little motor - sips fuel, absolutely reliable! It's just right to putt to shore and back or go exploring in the inflatable dink.

Flushing tip: I keep an small cat litter bucket handy for use at the end of a trip. I find removing the cotter key & prop takes little effort; then just hold the light little engine vertical in fresh water to flush right at the dock. Circulates water nicely - hardly any splashing - done in 5 minutes.

Hope to see ya back up this way soon -

Pat
It's always easier to stay found than to get un-lost.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

HI Pat: Nearly froze the last trip. Problably next trip sometime in Jan. The Honda is still in the shipping box. Not likely it willl be started until the spring. After the "pogo nip" last trip to Anacortes I wonder when the winter ends. I spend a good deal of time in Tahoe and it never felt so cold as that frozen fog. We get dampness at our home in Trindiad, Ca on the coast but not the severe cold as well. I am still chilled thinking about that stuff. Probably was not dressed for it. Will bring my Tahoe clothes next trip.
whwells "Howard'

Return to “General Discussion”