• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Blue hull polish- before and after

Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pelican Isle, Florida

Blue hull polish- before and after

Post by Bidgood »

The Florida sun takes its toll on our hulls. I maintain my boat as well as possible, but it is a losing battle on the hull. This year, when I had it hauled for bottom paint I decide to give it a good polish job. Here is the result!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: Blue hull polish- before and after

Post by whwells »

Bidgood: Your polish looks really good to me in the photos. Were you happy with the result? White is the only choice that holds up for long periods - but the colors are nice when fresh. Your second picture (before) is a bit hard to see.
Anyway good job. How often do you polish? I have gone from a White Luhrs to Blue Albin and was kind of plannng on a good polish each winter.
Looked at a 31 So. Cal. that owner has blue color polished monthly. Looked great, but he hired it done.
Not something most of us can do. So it will be my elbow grease less often.
whwells "Howard"
35TE Sportfisher/flybridge 2006
"Nibbles"
Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pelican Isle, Florida

Post by Bidgood »

It is either time or money.... For the topsides we polish 25% of the boat every month. The season is 12 months out of the year here in FL. So once you get into the rotation everything stays like new. Also doing a quarter of the boat is really pretty easy once you get the system down. The hull is a different matter. Trying to do it from the water or the dock is an exercise in futility. So I do the best I can and then once a year get it professionally done. We spend a lot of time cruising the Gulf so it is worth the effort for us.

Tom
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Now I can see you bottom 2nd picture. The polish work is perfect. Good job, you must be very happy with that result.
whwells
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I had a good look at Tom's boat when visiting Florida last spring. It's overall condition (not only the hull) was superb!
Up here we don't get the sun effects nearly as much, but also it is more difficult to do maintenance. I have my hull professionally rubbed down and waxed before launching (at a cost of about $800.) and its looks good for most of the five-month season. By spring, despite being covered, it needs it again.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
dianewonson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Islesboro,Maine

Post by dianewonson »

Wow..we had our Blue 28TE polished last spring, but it didn't look as nice as yours. Do you know what product was used? It looks beautiful!

Diane..28TE.."CALYPSO"....Islesboro, Me
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

While we are on the flag-blue hull, does anyone know where that color gelcoat can be obtained in small amount so that scratches can be touched up? Also, in the Northeast, when is the best time of year to make that repair?
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Bidgood: My boat is out of the water. Might have time to do a coat of polish on the blue. What are you using for polish? Hand polish or machine buffer? Probably will do by hand if not too dfficult.
whwells 'Howard"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

whwells wrote:Bidgood: My boat is out of the water. Might have time to do a coat of polish on the blue. What are you using for polish? Hand polish or machine buffer? Probably will do by hand if not too dfficult.
whwells 'Howard"
If a hand job is what you're looking for :shock: this product was recommended to me by my detailer as a good mid-season maintenance product.

http://www.shop3m.com/marine-fiberglass ... d-wax.html
3M_C&W.bmp
When I pulled out for Irene :shock: :shock: I did the hull and was very pleased with the results
2011-09-03_18-45-20_320c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Thanks Rob: With the kind of result you are showing I will give it a try. Thanks for the search info as well.
whwells "Howard
redsky
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Somerset MA

Post by redsky »

before-1.jpg
after-1.jpg
lots of work to get this back...
1997 Albin TE Engine Box Peninsular
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

And guaranteed not to last :(
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Post by Old School »

I was told the previous owner put acrylic over my blue hull. Has anyone ever heard of this?
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

When I picked up Serenity, a 98 TE, she had a green hull. The yard compounded and waxed the hull and she looked great. During the course of the spring and summer she started to oxidize. My marina does not have any hauling out facilities that I could "touch up". I intend to wax on and wax off in the spring. with compound. However, it has been suggested to wet sand the hull. I understand that this will last 2 or 3 years before oxidation grays back. Any thoughts?
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”