• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Want to be an Albin 36 owner

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
ace
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Tampa, FL

Want to be an Albin 36 owner

Post by ace »

Hi Group,

My name is Alan. I live in Tampa, Fl, and have been a sailboat guy all my life. I plan on retiring soon and want to do the Loop. My research, to date indicates, a 36 Alblin trawler is the type of boat that would best suit this. I am actively looking for the right boat and think this forum will be a great place to learn the do’s and dont's. I will be looking at a 36 this weekend. The boat is very affordable but I understand the teak decks are worn out and need replacing. I have read quite a bit about leak problems with decks and windows
and wonder what sort of damage this leads to. I look forward to being a member of this group. If anybody on the west coast of Florida is willing show me the ropes of trawler ownership I will buy the beer and fuel.
Last edited by ace on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Re: Want to an Albin owner

Post by NickScheuer »

Hi Alan!

I made the switch! Sunday we will pick up an Albin-25 we found less than 100 miles away. For Rockford, IL that is really saying something!

We want to continue trailering, under the power of a small motor, so the 25 is a logical choice for us.

Hang it there, three is a boat for you out there somewhere.

Nick'
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Alan,
Welcome to Albin Owners Group. You will find quite a bit of discussion around here about the teak on the old trawlers.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Alan,
Bad teak decks are not the end of the world. However, first you must learn if they are really worn out or just need recaulking. Look at some boats with sound decking so you can compare yourself. The biggest problem with teak is people don't know how to care for it. They scrub and sand, then it gets too thin for the plugs that cover the screw heads, then it starts to leak.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
ace
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by ace »

Thanks guys. My learning process has begun. Wonder if anyone out there started their trawler education by attending Trawler Fest seminars, Trawler schools or reading a book on buying a trawler. Was it worth it?
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: Want to be an Albin 36 owner

Post by whwells »

Welcome Alan: Can't really help you with the Teak floor questions. Have sanded and cleaned a fair amount of teak trim and doors. Never found that difficult except for time and need to repeat annually.

I do personally know the name of an excellent marine mechanic near you. He is a factory Certified Yanmar Mech. but does others including Cummins. Have a friend there with a 290 Luhrs with twin yanmars and he has serviced and cared for that boat since it was new in 1989. My friend can't say enough good things about him.
I have the same boat (forsale now) and called him many times during restortation and always found him willing to talk and helpful.
Depending upon your power let me know if you need that kind of help locally.

Welcome to AOG. I have found the group to be fun and a wonderful source of advise.

Jason our son just moved back from Clear Water Beach near you after living there for 5 years to Sacramento, Ca.
Pat my wife and i loved the winters there and a free place to stay was nice.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35TE Conv. Yanmars
"Nibbles"
ace
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by ace »

Thanks for the info.Always good to have the name of a good mechanic I toured the 36 last week and it had many needs. Even though it could be purchased very cheaply, for the cost and time involved I could purchase a boat in bristol condition, in fact I toured another 36 the same day that was in beautiful condition but was 30k more, but that's what i estimate the repairs/restoration would cost on the first boat. Additionally, the 36 may be a little small for my plans. The search continues
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Additionally, the 36 may be a little small for my plans.
http://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4769
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Ace: Not to rush. Your boat is out there. In the event you end up with Yanmars or Cummins the mechanic near you is Mark Donaldson 727 895 1981 & moblle 727 455 1171. I am sure he is a Yanmar Certified Mech. & my best recollection Cummins as well. If not certified on both someone in his business is. He flys troubles shoots and repairs both all over the Gulf when in trouble. He was very helpful to me with the 290 Luhrs & twin yanmars. Tell him you heard he is Willys Luhrs/Yanmar mech. and Howard in Northern Cal.
whwells"Howard"
35TE Sportfisher
"Nibbles"
byoung4653
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Grand Rivers, KY Green Turtle Bay Resort

Post by byoung4653 »

Alan,

We are new 36 albin, 1985, owners as of this week. Green Turtle Bay yacht sales has a 35, 1978 I think for sale. We have been aboard and she needs some work but priced right. Take a look on their web site. We have some water damage around side windows, typical of an albin. No damage to bulkhead and will replace teak veneer with back splash around galley. We have a Ford Lehman with 4,000 hrs. and boat has beenn well maintained by owner for 12 years. We make our maiden voyage TODAY for the weekend. good luck in your search.
ace
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by ace »

Thanks I will check it out and good luck to you. Keep posting what it's like as your trawler ownership experience moves forward.
Parrot Adventure
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Southwest Florida

Post by Parrot Adventure »

Hi Alan,

I'm not sure you're still out there so I'm taking a shot at connecting with you. My family and I caught trawler fever late last year aboard an Island Gypsy 34 sedan trawler for sale. The owner offered to take us for an hour cruise and we were sold. Unfortunately the deal fell through so we continued our search and recently offered on an Albin 36 in what we believe is great shape for a 30-year old boat. The boat has a single Ford Lehman 120, fiberglass decks, aluminum tanks, and 5 KW Kubota genset. My only experience with trawlers has been looking at boats for sale I found on multiple commercial and public websites and a half a dozen or so inspections of what looked to be good deals. Most of my experience came from my dealings with the seller of the previous boat we had an offer on and it turns out he has mentored me on trawlers and we've become quite good friends as a result. For now, I wanted to see if you indeed found your boat or if you're still looking at options.
byoung4653
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Grand Rivers, KY Green Turtle Bay Resort

Post by byoung4653 »

We purchased an 1985 albin 36, stern cabin trawler in September 2011. We cruised the boat during fall and winterized now. We live in Kentucky and will summarize in March. YEAH! We love the 36' and have had no major problems. We are at Trawler Fest Ft. lauderdale now and learning all we can. This is our first boat of this size so we are working on the learning curve. You might check Green Turtle Bay Marina yacht sales, our marina, they do have a few trawlers at times. Call Vebbie at yacht sales office and tell her Barry referred you. I promise this will not cost extra! Good luck and of course have fun.

Barry aboard "0 Regrets"
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Mark (hope to buy one)
Is the one you have an offer on "Parrot Adventure"? I have been watching the 36 classic market for some time. That boat may be the nicest one to come up for a while. Bearing in mind that I am just judging from the Yachtworld listings. It having new aluminum fuel tanks is a big plus, and it seems latley that none that sell in the southeast bring top dollar unless they have tanks that have been replaced. A very decent boat that sold in Florida but wound up at the next marina down from ours sold after the price droped tp $24.900 but alas has the orig fuel tanks. I hope to move on to a 36 in about 2 years, we currently have a 27 family cruiser. Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
obertra9
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cincinnati, Ohio

How Newbees should find their Albin

Post by obertra9 »

I ofter see memebers that post their Albins for sale on this forum, but more often we should see newbees posting Wanted to Purchase messages.
When I purcdhased my Albin 27SC, there were 4 on the New England coast. Two weeks prior to my visit to New England, I simply posted "will be traveling from Ohio in New England to purchase a Albin 27SC on (dates). If you are considering a sale I would like to consider yours."
I took the trip and viewed 6 boats in 2 days. The 2 nicest boats were with members not listed with brokers. The one I selected had not even been offered for sale by owner on any forum. It was a "if the buyer is in my area, I'll consider selling."
Both members and brokers assumed I was serious becuase I was traveling a good distance.
So if you are serious this spring about buying your Albin, give this method a try.

Roger Obert
Solitude II
27Albin SC
Roger A. Obert
1990 Albin 27 SC
Solitude II
Cincinnati, Ohio

Return to “New Member Introductions”