• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

question on buying an albin

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

snoedevil
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: warwick,ri

question on buying an albin

Post by snoedevil »

I currently own a 2002 2520 parker w/225 yamaha and really love this boat but we are looking for a few more comforts as in staying on her for the weekends. We have been checking out the Albin 28te along with the 31te. The 28 seems alittle more affordable to us ,but we like how the 31 has doors you can just close up like my parker. I see some of the 28 have doors on them ,but can they be added to any 28 model or could you let us know what years had them? I Know they come with several different motors and which one should I be looking at for the best durability and power? My concern is the peformance numbers from the boats. I know the produce a ton of power but the cruise and top speeds are far from what we are use to. I like the flush decks with all the room oppsoed to the engige in the middle of the deck but it seems like most 28 have the engine box how big of deal is this for ease of fishing with a few guys? The colored hulls all seem to be a problem and look pretty rough on the older boats , is there a way to get them back? It seems like they draft alot of water so how shallow can you run one of these boats safely?
We are just starting to look and gather info and I would like to ask the guys that own them for some help in choosing the right boat , so any input will be great and apprciated. We plan on going to the newport boat show and talking to a rep also. Thanks for the info..
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: question on buying an albin

Post by DougSea »

I'm sure you'll get a bunch of replies as folks start coming back from their storm hiding holes...

First though - welcome to AOG, we're happy to have you here!

A couple of quick comments from a former outboard and now 2nd Albin owner...

The doors were an option. Not very common on east coast boats but you can find them. I'm not aware of particular years. Kevin (Pitou) can chime in as he has the door on a 28.

They ARE slower than outboards. However, they can maintain their speeds in conditions that the outboard won't go out in. I had a friend aboard during a rough weather trip home from the Hudson two years ago and he was amazed at how infrequently I touched the throttle. He'd have been adjusting his speed constantly.

I would also add that they are tough as nails. I sometimes refer to small craft advisories as "Don't go out with out the Albin" weather...

I had the Penninsular (300hp)and had zero issues. They are not as popular as the Yanmars (315hp). There are occasional Cummins 370's out there but you'd really have to look.

I'm no fisherman but I have friends who are and the general thinking seems to be that the engine box makes a really handy spot for tackle boxes. Check the post in the TE section about FD vs. Engine box for a lot more info.

The Albin hulls and gelcoat are no better or worse than most quality boat builders. So...some can be brought back, some...maybe not. Depends on the boat you look at.

And yes, the draw more than an outboard. So, how shallow can they go? Three feet, three inches... :-) The skeg does offer great protection.

And a final comment - I LOVED our 28. It opened up SO much more than our small walkaround. It truely is a small YACHT. Comfortable cabin, gally, head, shower, hot water, (AC on some), and go anywhere capabilities. Awesome boat!

Good luck in your search.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Along with the good attributes of a larger boat you will have to accept the loss of a few of the smaller boat. The biggest being speed. The next is the ability to trailer easily without permits.

Depending how far 'there' is to you the commute time may not be much different. The slower ride will be much nicer. No more skipping across the water like a rock while hanging on tightly. The cost factor of the diesel will be less. An OB at WOT sucks up gas at gph 10% of rated HP. Diesel at WOT sucks about 5% of rated HP.

Then there is the space & overnighting capabilities that the small boat does not have. There are few things more satisfying than watching all the dayboaters going home while you are firing up the grill with no need to go anywhere at all.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Snoedevil,
The colored hulls can be challenging. Mine is black. Once you let it go, it's hard to bring it back but you can. Some swear by the Poly-Glow type products. Personally, my hull is black, and the previous owner was not into detailing. Mine was wet-sanded a couple of years ago. From that point it's up to me to wax every few months to keep the oxidation from coming back. I cannot go the whole season without waxing. But, it does look good.

Welcome to AOG,

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
snoedevil
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by snoedevil »

So what model will be the right one for me? I may need a little help on narrowing down the right fit for us. To all that own the 28te models what are the pros and cons you find with them. can two people fit in the aft bed fairly comfortable?it looks very small. If I am going to upgrade should I just go all in and look for a 31te , with twin engines? can the 28 te be trailed so I wouldn"t be dependant on the marina for everything? What I am looking for is the ability to have friends spend the weekend aboard with us and do some destination traveling around our area. I think the 28 will fit us well but it looks alittle small for sleeping with 4 people and a dog but I need to hear from people that already have these boats and what they think. I guess this will be the first step and then we can find me the right boat...
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

Four adults overnight on a 28 is very tight in my opinion. The quarterberth on the engine box model is fine for one adult and could work for two kids. Two adults would have to be very friendly. The quaterberth on the flush deck is narrower since some of it was taken to make room to move the engine forward.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Michael @ Maine
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Heron Way Marina, Essex Ma

Post by Michael @ Maine »

We purchased Explorer - 07' 28TE in May and have put an additional 100hrs+ on for the season. We have the flush deck with the L settee cockpit. My wife & daughter love the bench seating and it really opens up having guests on board. I strongly recommend you look at this option. Great nap place too!

Boat is slower than i thought but I have gotten use to it. Since you are not constantly adjusting speed the ride is smooth and stress free, just a little slower. Plan ahead and you will be fine. We have taken family overnight trips and have totally enjoyed sleeping on board.

I only wanted one engine for costs, maintence etc. so I am very content with the Yanmar. The boat fits us perfectly BUT we are a family of 3 and we leave the dog home.

What Explorer did not come with that I would have liked: auto pilot. What I did not care about but got and now strongly recommend: AC. (We stayed overnight in Portland the night it was 101 and had a great time.) I hauled my last bought (23') but could not imagine pulling Explorer around.

The 28TE has met all our expectations and beyond, I cannot recommend it more IF it physically will fit your use.

Good luck.....
snoedevil
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by snoedevil »

Thanks Mike, We have a place in Uoton Maine and do alot of snowmobiling from there,. The 28 will probaly be what we look for when ready. What are the speeds you see with the single engine? I was asking about towing ability just to pull it down to the marina in spring and home in the winter and store it on a trailer instead of at the marina seeing I have indoor storage for it. We pull a 28 foot hyda sport and my parker is 30 feet loa and has the 10 ft beam so that is why I was inquiring.
Are there any particular years to stay away from as we begin our search? I would really like to find white hull with the door in the rear instead or the curtain. I know what you are saying about the ac as we had to rig up a portable unit in the parker this summer because we stay on it every weekend, and this is why we are looking to upgrade. From what I see in searching around the sites there are not alot of 31 around this area. I need to take a ride on both the 28 and 31 to make my decision on what to look for. Hope to gather some more info from you guys and @ the newport boat show next week.
Michael @ Maine
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Heron Way Marina, Essex Ma

Post by Michael @ Maine »

For our longer runs 2-4 hrs we cruise @ 16Knt @ around 3,300 RPM - which the boats seems to like it will do all day. Regarding years we wanted flush deck and "newer" so I only looked 06' up. Your towing in/out seems reasonable and I agree it is nice not to be dependent on yard.

I really wanted a blue hull for the look - I understand the cost - rationalize that I did not buy the boat to save money :(. I did not like the look or feel of solid door so we went other route - is it for security?

If you are around mid coast Me I would be happy to give you a crusie on Explorer.

If you see Standish Boat Yard at the show go see Ken Hilton - he knows more about Albins than anyone is someone to do business with.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Snoedevil, I have to agree that having 4 adults overnighting on the 28 is a little close and that with the 31, if it is within reach, you have space for it on land and water it might be a better choice. The 31 is available in a single screw as well, which will save on maintenance cost of oil, filters, heat exchanger and cooler servicing. I would never hesitate on a single screw diesel boat ... look how many commercial guys run them.

Flush deck or engine box???? check the thread Doug sent you to in the TE forum. I do believe the engine box with it's weight distribution astern and larger rudder gives her a little more "arse"/control when backing down. Just an opinion.

As far as the doors ... I have them and love them and would not give them up. If you asked me that when I was "shopping" .... no way did I want them. Funny how things change. Along with the sound package, the doors offer quiet, protection from the elements and some security from the basically honest.

As you are, I was searching for a white hull and found the market was mostly colored hulls and thus I ended up shopping condition and equipment and let the color fall where it may. That's what they make Awlgrip for ... painting faded hulls. Most likely a paint job would only entail from the waterline to the rubrail ... not too overly expensive. For me ... it's still compound & polish each spring and threaten to paint. :roll:

I as you, would love to get the boat home for the off season, but have yet to find a good wheel man to negotiate my driveway. A trailer is doable ... just be wary of permitting.

Enjoy your search and hope you join the Albin family soon.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I have owned various boats over the years. My last boat was a 26 Century WA w/ twin 225 4 strokes. Fast boat, easily cruised at 30 knts. I purchases a 28 TE with a raised hatch. I fish the boat constantly because I can handle it myself. I am 6-2 and my bride ios 5-11 and sleeping in the forward v-berth is not a problem. The aft port berth is ideal for 2 small kids or a medium size adult or a couple seriously in love. I have a 315 Yanmar, and cruise at 3000 which gives me 18-19 knts. There are alot of things that you can do to the boat to make it user friendly. By far, out of the last 8 boats I have owned, the Albin is the best. As Doug stated earlier the boat is a beast in nast conditions. I am on Great South Bay, and I do not slow down for ferry and Sea Ray wakes. Bottom line, great boat and solid.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

Another option you might think about is the Albin 30FC. It is basically the same as the Albin 28 but has been "stretched" an additional two feet at the stern to provide a roomy aft cabin that can sleep two comfortably, either on two separate bunks or a double. What you give up is the cockpit is much smaller than in the 28 and it is less suitable for fishing.
The 30FC was only manufactured for one year so there are not too many around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
snoedevil
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by snoedevil »

I was searching around and found a 2001 31te with twin Cummins diesel with low hrs. where is a good place to find a " book value " to see if the pricing is in line and what they should be going for in good shape? Thoughts on an older 31te? are there any years to stay away from with these older boats and over all thoughts on the 31.te.
I am pretty hands on as far as the basic maintenance and oil and fuel filter service ect... Does any one have twins and what are their thoughts?
we have an older fc in our marina and it would not be the boat for me, but thanks for the thought.
RockHall
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RockHall »

This looks like a pretty good deal.
<removed>
31' TE
Hull # 211
S-Cummins 450
Rock Hall, MD
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I've started following the "sold boat reports" from Denison Marine. There are a couple of boats in the 2Q report that I'm familiar with so I believe the numbers are accurate. This is not "Blue Book", and you don't get details on condition of the boat but it gives you an indication of what's happening in the market place.

http://www.denisonyachtsales.com/yacht- ... -for-sale/
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “General Discussion”