• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 36 Trawler need info re zincs and rudder packing

harlie
First Mate
First Mate

Albin 36 Trawler need info re zincs and rudder packing

Post by harlie »

Our trawler is located in the Bahamas and we are in Canada; hence we are wondering if anyone has the physical size of the hull zincs on the stern of a 36 Albin,and, if anyone knows the size of packing used in the rudder stuffing box. Thank you
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Re: Albin 36 Trawler need info re zincs and rudder packing

Post by bccanucker »

My hull zincs are 3/4" X 3" X 6" (a pair of them)
Haul Out 2011 030.jpg
After I took this picture I realized that the 3/4" was too thick for the studds. We countersunk out for the washers and nuts as I didn't want to go to 1/2". Whe I first bought the boat I put on 2 predrilled CMT ZHC-3.
I have been trying to get my rudder shaft stufffing box apart for some time. It's in a real bad place so no one has done the job and things are stuck. If yours is anything like mine, it looks like this.
Thanksgiving 2010 049.jpg
rudder shaft2.jpg
Thanksgiving 2010 055.jpg
Good luck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
harlie
First Mate
First Mate

Post by harlie »

Yep;;;; that's it!!! I looked at it before we left the boat there but there are so many projects that it was moved down. Now it should be attended to. What an ugly spot and ours looks the same. I want to take the right size packing down with us this fall but no idea what size it is?? We too have extra weight in the stern. We bought our boat In Charleston ( SC) and moved her to the Bahamas; good trip; and very pleased with the boat.
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bccanucker »

I had a mechanic come down and take a look at doing the rudder packing. He says it's about a good 4 to 5 hour job. He would take off that whole aluminum housing overtop of the rudder stuffing box to give him the room. I thought the rudder would fall down but then remebered it was on a bearing on the bottom. Am now thinking this is a fall job or wait until boat out again. (i thought it was leaking too much but have just found my second thru hull just below the water line with no shut off valve that had a bolt stuffed in it with electrical taped rapped around to make it fit. Bolt pops out we start to sink. Slowly.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bccanucker »

A little more info about the rudder packing. I was back looking at the rudder shaft the other day and I spotted a loose piece of packing
summer 2011 010.jpg
This packing is 3/16".
Doesn't say yours is but maybe if you took that and +/- sizes it might work.
If you do this job, I would love to see pictures of it taken apart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic

Return to “36/37/40/43”