• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

'31: maneuvering a twin with an engine out?

badornato
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Alameda CA

'31: maneuvering a twin with an engine out?

Post by badornato »

Hi All,
I'm in the market for a '31 and on the fence between a twin and a single. One assumption I'm making that may be a bad one is that all that redundancy (given it's not a fuel problem) is functional in that a twin '31 can be effectively maneuvered on one engine? Can anyone attest to it?

I don't mean docking, but rather just running back from afar with an engine out.

Also,
Anyone have a solution for trolling for salmon with a twin? Dual trolling valves? Outboard on the swim platform?

Thanks,
Brant
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: '31: maneuvering a twin with an engine out?

Post by zinbaad »

I am of the thought, one is ok, but two definetly give me the peace of mind i do require..I dont know how many times in my life I settled, only to go out and buy what i really wanted to from the beginning. In the end spending much more than I would have if I just bought what I wanted from the beginning. Having only had one engine down once (due to a line & HUGE canvass bag mangled on prop & shaft) I was grateful to be able to limp back to Port on my own. Of course it does come with the price of doube the maintainence, and the percent of fuel costs but with the increased speed ability, safety factor getting back to Port, real maneuverability in tight spots & rough waters plus how many years I have left to enjoy my life , Twins work for me thumbs up.
I have no idea if or how an outboard would work on the swim platform but I guess if there is a will there will be a way
Good luck on your decision \
Eddy
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

badornato wrote: I don't mean docking, but rather just running back from afar with an engine out.
The quick answer is yes. You can run quite a distance on a single. I was aboard a Viking 42 on our way to Newport several years ago and we lost the water pump on the starboard engine. We continued the trip, probably 20 miles or so, on the port engine. It's slower of course and manuverability around the dock is perhaps a bit more difficult than a "normal" single, but it wasn't bad. And we didn't need to call SeaTow!!

The only issue I'm aware of is lubricating the "not in service" prop shaft. As you travel the propellor that's not in use will free-wheel and spin from the water flowing by. I know on my boat, with Tides shaft seals, there is a cross connnect fitting that feeds water to the second shaft if I'm only running on one engine.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

I have a single engine and Sea Tow. Sea Tow costs $125 year which is WAY cheaper than maintaining and feeding a second engine. I have never needed Sea Tow with my Albin (knock, knock), but I got towed in several times with my previous vessel and I'll tell you what, it ain't the end of the world. Twins die together sometimes (bad fuel is bad fuel) and then you are back to Sea Tow anyway. The twin engine design is left over from when fuel was cheap and diesels were a lot less reliable than they are today.
Poor man's trolling valve? $60 sea anchor towed behind the boat, get you down to about 2 kts. Even poorer than that? 5 gallon spackle bucket deployed the same way.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

Grappled with the same issues before bought a 31 with twins. Looked at a single, but the boat was not well maintained. Twins are more expensive to maintain and to run, but love the ease of handling. Hve a tight space at the Anacortes Marina, and with twins no problem to back her in. Also when just inside the Columbia River Bar last year , broke a v-clamp on the mixing elbow and had to shut the starbord engine down. Was able to get into Astoria on one engine without a problem . There is no Sea Tow at the mouth of the Columbia River so would have had to call the Cost Guard if only had a single. So far the lack of the big keel for protection has not been an issue, but is a consideration.
Boat fishes tuna and halibut/bottom fish well, but not the case for salmon. With both engines in gear speed is over 3 knots which is just too fast. With only one engine in gear gets her down to about 2+ knots still too fast. Don't like taking it in and out of gear constantly. Have had a boat in the past where we drug a big drift sock, but that gets in the way of your lines and is a pain. Have thought of the outboard on the swim deck, but would need to set up a separate fuel system for gas, and steering would be an issue. Have a smaller boat that as for now will use for salmon, and if use the Albin will probably just drift and mooch instead of trolling. If you focus on salmon may want to consider the single, but would make sure you can troll it down as well.
Jeff S
badornato
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Alameda CA

Post by badornato »

The Single I'm seriously considering doesn't have the trolling valve either so I really have the same issue there. I could add that to one of the engines on the twin I think just as easily as I could add it to the single. Outboard steering is a big deal. I added an ez steer to my current boat (Possible becuase it's a bayliner with and I/O) and it works great. But w/out it it drove me crazy and is not viable UNLESS the twin rudders have enough bite to give steerage which is unlikely in any kind of wind/sea state.
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Post by Mike Ebert »

I'm in Sausalito, my boat is used primarily for salmon fishing. I have a twin with one trolling valve. I shut down the other engine and troll on one only. A few more hours one the one engine but nothing to worry about. Limping in with a crab pot line around one of the props is unfortunately a common occurance. Backing in a slip with one engine out is interesting.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Post by Mike Ebert »

By the way, if you want to go out for salmon and decide for yourself, send me an e-mail.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

BRANT: NIBBLES has a trolling valve on only one engine. As Mike Ebert points out it is not that rare. My old Luhrs has no trolling valve on either engine (not available on the Yanmar 140 hp series) but I still use the same engine (port) because it just does better trolling. Really did not change the hours that much comparing one against the other. Costs is a factor but I still perfer twins - although all the good things we hear about the singles makes you wonder at spending costs time.
whwells "Howard"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”