• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Divers

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

JC78
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Redwood City, CA

Divers

Post by JC78 »

Sorry to always be asking newbie questions, but here is another: How often, if ever, does everyone have a diver clean their hull? I often see them around my marina working on other boats, usually sailboats. Is this something I need to have done periodically on my Albin 28?
JC
2001 28 TE
Blue Moon
Hull # 537
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Divers

Post by DougSea »

Is your area prone to heavy fouling? Are you losing significant speed as the season goes by? Then you may want to consider it.

As for the sailboats, they probably have "hard" bottom paint which doesn't self clean as well as the "soft" ablative paints many powerboats use. So they need a scrubbing. Plus, losing a knot when you top at 6 is a lot different than losing one when you top over 20!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi JC,
I echo what Doug says. It depends on where you keep your boat and how often you use it. I'm in brackish water and use my boat at least once per week. I paint my bottom every other year. Sometimes when we're at anchor I'll scrub the sides at the waterline but very seldom do I have anything on the bottom. I do get some barnacles on the tabs and running gear. Not much though. I have the hard bottom paint. Works for me.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
JC78
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Redwood City, CA

Post by JC78 »

OK, so I opened up a can of worms (for me, at least). What are the pros and cons of hard vs ablative bottom paint? Pretty sure my boat has ablative as of now.
JC
2001 28 TE
Blue Moon
Hull # 537

Return to “General Discussion”