• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bolt head broken off prop shaft collar

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

ebbtide
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Branford Connecticut

Bolt head broken off prop shaft collar

Post by ebbtide »

The collar that holds the prop shaft in place is missing the head of the bronze bolt and we can't back the broken bolt out. Any suggestions? Marina's are too busy to help and we can't launch the boat until fixed. Was told it was an all day job and if done wrong the boat could sink to the bottom!
We live in branford CT and wonder if anyone has been done this road before and has any suggestions.
Thank you
Lori
Albin 31 Tournament Express 1996
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Bolt head broken off prop shaft collar

Post by RobS »

Not sure what part you are referring to. Is this a twin screw? Are you referring to the struts?
You should post some photos?
Is there room to drill it and use an easy out (bolt extractor)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Lori,

As Rob said, post a picture and we'll have a clearer idea of the problem. Bolts strip and break fairly often, and a bolt extractor is the most straight forward way to get them out. It's not that obvious in Rob's picture but you drill a pilot hole in the offending bolt and the extractor threads in backwards (counterclockwise) so that as you tighten it it backs the bolt out.

Good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Yes a pic is necessary for us to be able to make suggestions.

For example if the collar is the pinch bolt style you can simply drill out the remaining bolt and drill/tap a new hole in another location.
You may also be able to grind a slot in the remaining bolt, depending how deep it is in the collar. Or grind flats and use vise grips or a wrench.

If it is the kind that only uses setscrews to hold the shaft then you'll need to be more careful on the repair.

Actually if it is version number 2 as I described above I would replace it with a new collar of the pinchbolt style. They are much better and stronger. You can destry the other collar in the removal process and it won't matter as long as you don't frig up the shaft....(and you won't have to).
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
ebbtide
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bolt head broken off prop shaft collar/cutlass bearing h

Post by ebbtide »

Hello,
This is the photo you requested and thank you for your responses.Are the nuts glassed in because there were none in the bilge after finally extracting the broken bolt. I was told to use 5200 adhesive and then 4200 any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

5200 is overkill. That bearing housing needs to be removable to service the cutlass bearing. BoatLife Life Caulk is fine. Replace both bolts with new bronze bolts, not stainless. Also check the hole on the side of the housing to be sure its allowing water to pass thru to cool the cutlass. Good time to do the cutlass bearing if needed.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

ebbtide
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ebbtide »

Thanks so much for the helpfull suggestions. Hope to meet some of you folks out in Lond Island for the Rendevous.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:5200 is overkill. That bearing housing needs to be removable to service the cutlass bearing. BoatLife Life Caulk is fine. Replace both bolts with new bronze bolts, not stainless. Also check the hole on the side of the housing to be sure its allowing water to pass thru to cool the cutlass. Good time to do the cutlass bearing if needed.
X2 :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
skye peak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skye peak »

question.... do you have to remove the stern tube to replace the cutlass bearing, or
can you pull it once the shaft is out?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

The bearing housing has to be removed to replace the cutlass bearing. You need to use a press to get the old one out and press the new one in. Its only 2 bolts and she slides right off and you do not want to damage that bronze housing trying other methods.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

skye peak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skye peak »

thanks for the info Rob. I am dreading the idea of getting the nut on the lower bolt inside the
boat as it is under the shaft log down where the "sun don't shine".
ebbtide
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re:Are the nuts glassed in? Cutlass bearing housing

Post by ebbtide »

Hello Skye Peak,
I have been dreading the same thing...but was told the lower one is glassed in because the access is so difficult. I had my hands down in there the other day and i have small hands and could not find the nut that should have dropped off when the bolt came out.I only felt slime and bilge water.
I even vacummed the bilge in search of nuts, emptied it out and didn't find one nut which suggests that they are glassed into the hull. No one has cleared this up with me yet and i hope thats the case. Only a 3 foot tall person could fit in there or someone with incredible tools at their disposal.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

There is no interior (bilge) access to these nuts, they are down in the keel..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

ebbtide
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ebbtide »

Thank you Rob,
Your post is very helpfull. We never got an owners manual for the 31 TE (1996) Do you have an original or copy of it? It would be incredibly useful to have one. If anyone would be willing to copy theirs at our expense and postage it would be much appreciated. Its like flying in the dark...we've only had this boat for 1 year and when we bought it ...all was ship shape. That's why I keep writing to this group in search of what is probably common knowledge for you folks.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

ebbtide wrote:Thank you Rob,
Your post is very helpfull. We never got an owners manual for the 31 TE (1996) Do you have an original or copy of it? It would be incredibly useful to have one. If anyone would be willing to copy theirs at our expense and postage it would be much appreciated. Its like flying in the dark...we've only had this boat for 1 year and when we bought it ...all was ship shape. That's why I keep writing to this group in search of what is probably common knowledge for you folks.
Ah Lori, we always wait to see this question! :)

Albin didn't create an owners manual for your boat! And we've found that each boat was semi-custom built, sometimes with whatever was on the shelf in the parts department.

So please, fire away with your questions, and do as we all do - we build our own manuals!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”