• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Changing impeller on yanmar

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

lburger2
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Cape Coral, Florida

Changing impeller on yanmar

Post by lburger2 »

I have a 35' CB with a 6lya-stp yanmar. Its impossibe to remove the impeller, do you have to remove the pump? Need help, Len
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Changing impeller on yanmar

Post by Carl »

Yes, remove the pump, change out the impeller and put the pump back on.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

On the 6LP there are 2 o-rings, one under the end cover of the pump body and one between the pump body and the timing case cover. Not sure on the 6LY.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

An impeller puller (buy at a marine supply store) work great to get the impeller out. Also when you put the pump back on need to line up the ger teeth so it slides right on. Can use olive oil to get impeller to slide in easier.
Jeff S
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

RobS wrote:On the 6LP there are 2 o-rings, one under the end cover of the pump body and one between the pump body and the timing case cover. Not sure on the 6LY.

RobS

1) Is the raw water Impeller - Yanmar part #119773-42600-01 for (year 2000) 6LP-STE?
as shown here
http://bayshoremarineengines.com/119773 ... eller.aspx

2) Which two O rings (part#) are prudent to change / have on hand for replacement?
http://bayshoremarineengines.com/impeller.aspx

3) Also do you NEED to have impeller puller pliers?

4) overall how many hours does the Impellor replacement take on Avg?

FYI, I recently bought my F/O filters from bayshore marine after reading one of your prior posts and they were AWESOME to do business with.

Thanks
OldDemps
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Impeller: 119773-42600-01
Impeller Cover O-Ring: x0506590-01
Pump Mounting O-Ring: 24321-000650

No need for impeller pliers. Two flat head screwdrivers or 2 pr of needle nose pliers and you can work the impeller out. If you were pulling the impeller out without pulling the pump that would be different story..

Cooking oil on the new one and it pushes right in. Don't worry about the direction of the vanes, they will fold over when spun. A thin smear of grease on the o-rings. The grease will hold them in the grooves too.

It should take you about an hour. I have seen the stud come out with the nut. That's fine, just put it back in that way as long as it's in good condition (it basically becomes a bolt instead of a stud/nut) or you can get a bolt to replace it with.

It's best to have a helper this way when you get down under the deck to work on the pump you have someone to pass the tools, etc...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OldDemps »

1) Does it make sense to change the thermostat at the same time as the water pump impeller?
If I was working on a car I would do it just for good measure while I had the coolant out.

Also I’m having an impossible time finding Texaco Havoline extended life coolant here in northern California.
2) What’s my best alternative brand or will any premium extended life coolant suffice?

THANKS
OldDemps
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Just to be sure we are clear: The water pump impeller to be changed is on the sea water side of the cooling system, the thermostat is on the fresh water side.

I spoke to Mack Boring a couple years back and was advised that Preston Dex-Cool Extended Life 5/150 was one of the accepted coolants. Did you try a truck shop for the coolant? Or check with your local Yanmar or diesel shop? Perhaps an auto parts store can order exactly what you want..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OldDemps »

Thanks for the SW/FW system basic reminder, but yes I over looked that major fact, Duh.

I guess I was looking at servicing both the cooling systemS as a single project since one is only as good as the other.

You're the man Rob
THANKS
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OldDemps »

When evaluating the SW impeller replacement I just noticed salt water dripping seemingly from the bottom of the sea water pump on my Yanmar 6LP-STE when the engine is off and boat is at rest in the berth. My mechanic brother is guessing its the mechanical seal on the gear side of the impeller and simply replacing the impeller and two casing gaskets is not enough.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Haven't taken SW pump off engine yet since I was going to order Impeller parts listed above and wanted to include any other parts if needed. Didn't want boat out of service if it needs to go to local yanmar mechanic for larger repair.

PS. Bayshore Marine for buying my Yanmar parts is definately awesome.
http://bayshoremarineengines.com/yanmar.aspx
Thanks
Currently boatless
Prior owner of

Return to “Albin Maintenance”