• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

anti freeze etc

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

anti freeze etc

Post by jprohan »

Read my engine manual (6 BTA) again today (I should do more often) and it recommended adding SCA # DCA-4 to my antifreeze, to prevent corrosion. I changed it about 3 years ago and used prestone. Should I change again and use Compleat? If so should I add SCA? Or just add it to existing solution? Do you just pour proper amount in accumulator tank? Any advice is appreciated.
Jim
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: anti freeze etc

Post by jleonard »

At 3 years it is due agian to be changed.
Always mix before adding. You can use Prestone or Compleat, either is fine for a Cummins 6B.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Where do you drain the antifreeze on a 6BTA? Also it has to be caught and disposed of properly, correct? This seems difficult on an Albin.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

You need to pull a hose on the starboard forward end of the engine down failry low.
If you are lucky there will be a T and a plug you can pull.
If there is not.....add one or maybe even a bpoiler drain to make it east next time.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Thanks for the answer. I guess what I am really asking is how to catch the antifreeze as there is not room under the engine to put a big enough bucket. Do you drain into the bilge and then use a hand pump to transfer into a container?
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I used a small container under the engine to catch it, and then had a 5 gallon bucket on the deck to empty the smaller container in. What I used was a plastic container, bigger than a large wonton soup, maybe something like what pretzel rods would come in (if that helps you). Just an FYI, Jay mentions "starboard side" but our TE engines are reversed...not sure if he meant starboard or port..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Just an FYI, Jay mentions "starboard side" but our TE engines are reversed...not sure if he meant starboard or port..
I am talking engine side when standing behind the engine itself as in standing on the bellhousing and looking to the front of the engine. Maybe a better description is below the alternator and below the exhaust manifold in front of the oil filter.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Port Side in the backwards world of the TE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:Port Side in the backwards world of the TE
That's the money shot Rob.

Or as Cummins puts it "the drain is located on the exhaust side of engine"

On the B-Series the coolant is drained from the water transfer tube which runs beneath and parallel to the heat exchanger. On the 28TE the drain plug is located on the stem side of the tube / the exhaust end.

I do this as Rob suggests and shuffle two QT. sized containers and transfer them to a buddy who dumps them in the 5 gallon pails at the ready.

When refilling go slow as to prevent air locks / no more than 3 1/2 gallons/ minute. personally I add it much slower. The B-Series hold 6 gallons.

This is a Cummins recommended service every 600 hours or 24 months, whichever comes first. I'm on the odd year schedule with a fresh case of 6 gallons of Dex-Cool 50/50 sitting in the garage. :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Same here, it's on the board for this season, following the 24month or 2year whichever comes first schedule. :D Last done Sept 2009.

Last week I changed the numerous on-engine sea water cooling loop hoses and the 2" hose from the thru-hull seacock to the perko strainer. Next week I'll do the impeller and the 1-3/4" hose from the perko to the cooling pump. I also have two fresh water engine cooling hoses to do when I do the coolant change and that will complete the hose job :wink: Much better project than the sanitation hoses last year :twisted:

Took Erika and my girls out for their first ride on Sunday in search of the seals. Found more than I was hoping too, the ladies were thrilled to see them, I was less than thrilled watching them eat all the flounder. :(
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

Rob,
You have a Yanmar right ??? You confused me when you posted a picture of a Cummins 6BTA. I wanted to know where you purchased your set of raw water hoses, (if from somewhere other than from a dealer).
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

I do have a Yanmar, 6LP-STE. I also have thousands of pictures of boat stuff, mostly of boats I have owned, some I looked at considering purchasing but never did..

I ordered the hoses from here viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2858
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

I couldn't get the plug out of the water transfer tube and vise-grips just seemed to strip it further. I used my trusty vacuum oil extractor to empty about 5 gallons out of the main holding tank. I was originally going to use a drill pump but found the oil extractor "no-mess". Then I did as jleonard suggested above and disconnected the hose from the water transfer tube with a big lid underneath (similar to a lid for a 4D battery box) and 'vacuumed' the remaining gallon or so from the lid. I also flushed both the holding tank and transfer tube with fresh water. I'm sure I missed some of the old antifreeze but managed to collect about 6 1/2 gallons. It took 7 gallons to refill incluing the overflow tank.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin

Return to “Albin Maintenance”