• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Air Conditioner

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

egauthier@ec.rr.com
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern NC

Air Conditioner

Post by egauthier@ec.rr.com »

The AC on on 2004 Albin 30 FC is not functioning. When I set the controls for ac or heat, everything starts normally, within about 20 seconds, the unit indicates a problem. I have used dockwater to circumvent the sea water pump with the same result. I think the sea water pump may be the problem because it starts when the ac in turned on but run for only a few seconds and then stops (could be the over heating protection built into the pump motor). Does anyone know if the digital control on the AC can detect a pump shutdown and then indicate a problem?
Peter Gauthier
KP Duty - New Bern, NC
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Re: Air Conditioner

Post by furball »

Do you get an error code on the control panel.
I had a "HPF" high pressure freon code last year that would keep shutting the system down. Turned out to be lose connection at the sensor. Found it after 20 minutes of not really knowing what I was looking at. I don't know squat about A/C other than if it's working. Just checking connections and this one fell apart as I touched it. Dropped the little 90 degree connector which promptly slid back under the A/C unit out of reach :roll: 30 minutes later I had retrieved it and re-crimped. No more faults.
Do you have water flow prior to shut down?
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

egauthier@ec.rr.com wrote:The AC on on 2004 Albin 30 FC is not functioning. When I set the controls for ac or heat, everything starts normally, within about 20 seconds, the unit indicates a problem. I have used dockwater to circumvent the sea water pump with the same result. I think the sea water pump may be the problem because it starts when the ac in turned on but run for only a few seconds and then stops (could be the over heating protection built into the pump motor). Does anyone know if the digital control on the AC can detect a pump shutdown and then indicate a problem?
My guess is that your A/C unit is not seeing the flow of water and is shutting off the power to the pump to prevent a problem. I know the unit in my old 28 would shutdown with an error code if I lost prime.

The question I have is about the start of your post where you say you used dock water to circumvent the pump. Do you have a flush out fitting and you're connecting fresh water and forcing it through the system? If so, and you are still having an issue I'd assume whatever sensor picks up the water flow is faulty.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

The fault code is the key. Could be all kind of things. Low voltage, low freon, high temperature, water temperature too cold (in heat mode). When a fault is detected, the unit, including the sea water pump, shuts down.

It's not clear if you are saying the pump shuts off, and then after a few minutes, the unit shuts off, or everything shuts off at once. If water flows through the system at start-up, and then everything shuts off at once, I would think you have a problem other than the pump.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus

Return to “Albin Maintenance”