• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New member question Re 28TE

Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Copiague, NY

New member question Re 28TE

Post by Dexter »

I am new to the forum. Have been interested in Albins for some time now. I am reluctant to ask but everyone on this site seams real nice and I have yet to read a nasty post, but if anyone is local to me on Long Island, NY and will be heading out for a "shake down cruise" in the near future, I would love to come along. I will be happy to pay for fuel. I have never ridden on one. I have read great things about the boat and how she handles but riding one one and reading about one are totally different.

Thanks
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: New member question Re 28TE

Post by DougSea »

Hey Dexter,

I'm pretty sure one of the Long Islanders will chime in soon with an offer of a ride. Which boat are you looking at? I'm assuming the 28, but just checking.

If you do get a chance to go I'd have to comment that what you want is to go out twice, once on a nice day, once on a nasty one! The 28 is a great boat on a good day but where she stands head and shoulders above most others is when the day turns to crap. I would take mine out in almost anything and feel safe and secure.

Let us know. And welcome to AOG! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Dexter wrote:I am new to the forum. Have been interested in Albins for some time now. I am reluctant to ask but everyone on this site seams real nice and I have yet to read a nasty post, but if anyone is local to me on Long Island, NY and will be heading out for a "shake down cruise" in the near future, I would love to come along. I will be happy to pay for fuel. I have never ridden on one. I have read great things about the boat and how she handles but riding one one and reading about one are totally different.

Thanks
Hi Dexter,
I can't say you will never see a nasty post but it seldom happens.
There are a couple of new listings in our For Sale forum posted this past weekend. If your travels find you in Maryland you can always hitch a ride with me.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dexter »

I am thinking about a 28 but I may be looking at a 35TE tomorrow. The 35 is a bit out of my price range. I am almost reluctant to look at it because I will probably fall in love with it and have to mortgage my wife. I am eager to ride on one, I may have to take a trip to Maryland and take you up on that offer...
I fish with my buddy that has a 29 Blackfin. Boat handles great but I like the Albin TE design better. I've also been on Shamrocks. WET boats but stable. Thank you for your responses.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Dexter wrote:I am thinking about a 28 but I may be looking at a 35TE tomorrow. The 35 is a bit out of my price range. I am almost reluctant to look at it because I will probably fall in love with it and have to mortgage my wife. I am eager to ride on one, I may have to take a trip to Maryland and take you up on that offer...
I fish with my buddy that has a 29 Blackfin. Boat handles great but I like the Albin TE design better. I've also been on Shamrocks. WET boats but stable. Thank you for your responses.
Our "new to us" 35 is coming up to Norwalk CT on the weekend of April 15th. I'd be happy to take you for a ride sometime after that...

And yes, I traded in a 28 for the 35... :)

Which 35 are you looking at? At some point I poured over the listings for all of them! :shock:
Doug
Sonny IV
Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dexter »

I appreciate the offer Sonny I would love to take a ride. When the boat comes in please let me know. There are two on Long Island One is a twin and the other is a single. Did you trade in your 28? If so, did they give you a good return on the boat? Why did you trade up? Were you unhappy with the 28 or was it just the extra room?
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Dexter wrote:I am thinking about a 28 but I may be looking at a 35TE tomorrow. The 35 is a bit out of my price range. I am almost reluctant to look at it because I will probably fall in love with it and have to mortgage my wife. I am eager to ride on one, I may have to take a trip to Maryland and take you up on that offer...
My first offshore tuna trip was on a 29 Blackfin. I remember we were about 50 miles out in 6 footers. Not a great day but the boat handled well. Shamrock's are nice boats but fit/finish was a little lacking in the few I've been on. I'm like you. If I got on a 35, I would want it. Then reality sets in and it's a little big for me. I single hand quite often.
Although we are thinking about a 31, the 28 is perfect for Sharon and I. It's the first boat I ever owned that I can't find anything wrong with. It's reliable, safe, sturdy, and looks good.

I'll be in the water by mid-April. C'mon down.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Dexter wrote:I appreciate the offer Sonny I would love to take a ride. When the boat comes in please let me know. There are two on Long Island One is a twin and the other is a single. Did you trade in your 28? If so, did they give you a good return on the boat? Why did you trade up? Were you unhappy with the 28 or was it just the extra room?
Hi Dexter,

Yes, we traded in both our 28 and an Aquasport 21 as part of the deal, see my "Goodbye girls" post in General Discussion for a shot of Sonnys II and III on the start of their trip! :)

We LOVED the 28. My wife was close to backing out of boating and the 28 pulled her back in. As John also points out they are sturdy, safe and to me they are the perfect Pocket Yacht.

The wanderlust started when I stepped aboard "Joint Venture", a 31TE at the first NE rendezvous. At that point it was just a bit of "Wow, nice boat". As we cruised more and more I came to realize that for our use Kathy would like more room and we both wanted a bit more speed. Sonny III cruised very nicely in the 17-18 knot range and I started wanting to get up into the mid 20's. With us being comfortable doing a bit over 6 hours underway in a day the extra speed would give us 30-40 miles greater range. Now Martha's Vineyard is a one day trip, where Block used to be the limit.

Last year I had a nice tour of "Hideaweigh", another 31, at the Essex rendezvous. That pushed me over the edge and we started looking. Rick up in Boston responded to my query to see a 35 and a visit to "Legacy" further pushed us along. And then Kathy found the "trades accepted" listing for Sonny IV (bad luck to post the old name). A bit of back and forth and the deal was done. Was I happy with the price on my old boats? No. I felt the 28 in particular was worth much more. But the deal as a whole was a good one so I put aside the emotions and we closed in January.

So that's my story. You need to decide what makes sense for yours! 8) There is no question that most people like a bigger boat, but what are you comfortable with? And that means cost (purchase, fuel, dockage, storage, maintenance), operation (single handed, speed, range, safety), and features (sleeping capacity, shower, galley) are all factors in determining the size that works. So share your thoughts with us, ask questions, and we'll help you out!
Doug
Sonny IV
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

Hey Dexter: I have a 32 sportfish located in Bay Shore; it is for sale, sort of. It seems that me asking 60-70 and people offering 25-30 is what makes it sort of. Anyway, I will be spashing her in a couple of weeks; and would be happy to take you for a ride. No obligation in any way ofcourse; just a chance to get out on the bay after the winter we've been through.
Jim
Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dexter »

Hi Jim

Been off the forum for a while. Would love to take a ride. Did you splash yet? Let me know
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Bottom painted, waxed & shined, fuel filters done, all zinced up, props mounted & ready to roll. Hope to be in by April 15th.. Come on down if you like to try a 31 with twins
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

zinbaad wrote:... & shined...
for now at least. :(

As the detailer said when he was done with the blue hull, "It looks great, and guaranteed NOT to last!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

WOW, sure looks good Rob and you didnt even break out a sweat, lol
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

zinbaad wrote:WOW, sure looks good Rob and you didnt even break out a sweat, lol
Thanks Ed, but quite the contrary, I WAS sweating as I counted out the c-notes
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Anthony1013 »

"Thanks Ed, but quite the contrary, I WAS sweating as I counted out the c-notes"

Hahahaha! I am only laughing now because mine is heading to dry dock in 2 weeks for bottom paint, new transducer, zincs and a yes, the annual buff job. Gotta love those blue hulls...
28' Albin "MadMoney" in Ilwaco/Seattle
CCA Member & PSA Sno-King Member

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”