• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Waking up the dead

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Waking up the dead

Post by Veebyes2 »

It has been a year since the Cummins rumbled under the deck of my 1996 A32. She has been sitting in storage now since December 2006.

Yesterday my mechanic son & I installed what we thought were charged batteries for the Cummins & Isuzu powered genny. The genny rolled, slowly, but no start. Changed the garden hose over to the Cummins & all we got was a 'click' on the solenoid. Put everything on charge & called it a day in defeat.

Back at it today. This times with tools ready to do battle. Tried the genny, this time slacking off the injector rails. No fuel. Working backwards we found fuel on the pump input but nothing coming out.

Hmmm...this does not look good i.e. expensive. A mechanic with many more years experience will be consulted tomorrow.

On to the Cummins. This time the starter was given a little tap at the solenoid. It worked. The engine rolled but no start. It was trying but not getting a few good fires to get going. After a bit of fooling with pump connections we tried again. This time success though it was a slow start instead of the usual instant vroom.

Still...it was nice to hear that sound again & slosh some oil around inside.

Such are the of owning a boat in mothballs. I had hoped to remove the engine this winter but that was not to be. Next winter I really need to give her a full refurb, even if she remains on the hard for yet another year while we get this RVing thing out of our system.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”