• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

40 trawler windows

psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

40 trawler windows

Post by psneeld »

Anyone have some advice on replacing/fixing windows? Just bought a 1988 leaker and am contemplating full around window replacement with aluminum frames.

Anyone do this??? manufacturers?

Thanks.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Re: 40 trawler windows

Post by bccanucker »

Scott: The previous owner of our trawler replaced all the aft cabin windows. They were done by AJR windows.
http://www.ajr-windows.com/Home.html
I would think you could find a window manufacturer closer to home.
If you go to my blogspot site and scroll down to "UPGRADES" you will see some pictures of these windows.
http://www.blueheron-albin.blogspot.com/
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

Post by psneeld »

thanks bccanucker!
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

Hi;
I don't know if you saw what I wrote on leaks, but I understand your pain. There were more than half a dozen different leaks in the aft cabin; hawser holes, caprails, stanchions, rub strips, windows, deck screws, scuppers, the screws that held the ladder to the bridge, and the aft hatch. It would leak when there was a heavy dew.

I replaced two widows with some made by Mark Plastics located in Corona, California. They look a lot like the ones on the above post. They are fairly inexpensive, well made, open, and don't leak a drop, and no wood frames outside to keep up. Nice easy sliding heavy plastic windows.

I believe that the polysulfide sealers they made our boats with are only good for 20 years. My boat is 30. That is where a lot of my leaks came from.

Happy leak hunting
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I just removed the teak frames and re-caulked. Replaced the tracking in the sliders. Drilled new drain holes. Broke one glass pane, replaced it with glass (the proper safety glass) from a local shop.

No more leaky windows. :D
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jmatlaga
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jmatlaga »

I welded up stainless steel frames for windows all around. posted some pics dec 09 on this forum.
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

We used a local glass shop that has done alot of boatwork, we competely removed ALL of the side windows in the main and aft cabins and also the rear of the a.c.

Nine windows in all plus the three port-lights last winter and the remainder to be done next winter... New stainless sills and tracks were installed, grey glass and screens with stainless frames.

Really a top notch job and no leaks in them.

A huge job I admit, but more than worth the effort to do it right....
The Lass 841.jpg
The Lass 1244.jpg
The Lass 1271.jpg
The Lass 1276.jpg
The Lass 1290.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Horn Harbor Marina Port Haywood, VA

Post by brookesmith »

I'm replacing broken windows and putting in new stainless track. Getting the games loose is a job. After removing screws I've found a heat gun and wooden wedges work well to keep from breaking the wooden frames. I'd post a picture if I could figure how to get it off my phone. Maybe this link will work http://gallery.me.com/iphone/millardsmith/100078#0
IMG_0310.jpg
(Edited by Administrator)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Millard C. Smith ( Brooke )
brookesmith at yahoo dot com
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/liquidtherapy
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Yes getting them loose is tons of fun. Been there done that, probably have a couple more do do eventually.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Horn Harbor Marina Port Haywood, VA

Post by brookesmith »

Thanks for fixing my picture. I usually use a MacBook on the boat but we had 60kt winds with a storm that blew rain in the center windshield and dripped on th computer killing it. Now usually I have a keyboard cover in place just in case some spray flies through the open window. But I wasn't anticipating anything coming through the closed window with the boat in a covered slip. Got another MacBook like mine on eBay for $263. I can just take whatever hard drive that comes in the MacBook out and put mine in at it will come up like my old one. I use MacEnc nav software and external 22" tv for a 2nd monitor.
Hope to make an Albin Renzdavous some time. The admiral and I are headed south down the ICW To Bahamas starting in November and ending 5 moths later back here in Deltaville.
Millard C. Smith ( Brooke )
brookesmith at yahoo dot com
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/liquidtherapy
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Hi, I've just removed 4 windows including 2 sliders. I tried everything to be gentle but in the end it came down to a crowbar and brute force and ignorance (in my case). Once they were out I could clean up the surrounds, dig out the rotten plywood, repair the fibreglass superstructure. I then cut templates. A good tip is to put a piece of board inside the boat secured securely and mark it from the outside with a thick black marker. I let the manufatures cut the boards to size. They made aluminium replacements and they were fitted using an effective mastic sealant and screws. I then covered the aluminium frames with teak trim so the boat now benefits from new technolgy and original looks. One thing. You may damage the interior veneer. I did and had to reveneer the woodwork.

Return to “36/37/40/43”