• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Penninsualar Engine

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

dgurgel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Amboy (Raritan Bay), NJ

Penninsualar Engine

Post by dgurgel »

A friend is reluctant to offer on a TE with a Penninsular with less than 900 hours,

How do you feel about Penninsualr compared to Yanmar and Cummins?
Dave Gurgel
2000 Albin 28 TE, "Energetic"
Hull #453
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Penninsualar Engine

Post by jcollins »

dgurgel wrote:A friend is reluctant to offer on a TE with a Penninsular with less than 900 hours,

What year? Your friend can always call Peninsular with the serial number to see if it's one of the problem motors. They are louder than the Yanmar but if you take care of it, it will perform well. Most owners will tell you the bad reputation is good for purchase. Not so good for resale.
There has been qutie a bit of discussion around here. You can use the search function. I'm sure others will jump in with additional thoughts.
I have 1200 hours on mine and no problems other than the infamous "hot start" problem that is easily fixed for less than 80.00-100.00.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

dgurgel wrote:A friend is reluctant to offer on a TE with a Penninsular with less than 900 hours,

I have to say I love mine. And I just passed 900 hours on the meter so I have about 400 hours that I've put on it. I would not hesitate to buy a boat with one for a minute so long as the rest of the boat surveys well. You can get a bad Yanmar, Cummins, Cat...at the end of the day as long as it's been maintained it should have thousands of hours left in it.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
dgurgel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dgurgel »

T\ank you.

Boat in question is 1994 TE.
Dave Gurgel
Hull #453
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

You're very welcome.

Just want to "ditto" John...Penninsular is an easy company to get a hold of, if your friend has questions Matt there is the owner and is very helpful.

If he wants to talk to an owner I'd be happy to take his call as well. I'm guessing with a '94 he's getting a decent price and a lot of boat for the money.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

dgurgel wrote:T\ank you.

Boat in question is 1994 TE.
I ran a search this morning for "peninsular problem years". It returned 345 matches. It seems the problem years were 96-98. I ran the same search on the Internet when I purchased my 95 in 2005. Everyone that said run, don't walk or don't buy it, were just echoing things they read on the Internet. Believe me, if I had problems with mine I would have made it well known. The hot-start issue is related to a glow plug timer. In the original configuration you would turn the key and wait for the glow plug heater for about 12 seconds. After the light went out, turn the key to the start position and start the motor. But, when it's hot the timer would turn the heater off prematurely and the motor would not start until it cooled down. I used to get around this by pouring cold water over the clum relay. The relay would think it was cool and stay on long enough to start the motor. I was reminded by those more experienced than myself about pouring water over electrical connections so I finally called Peninsular and ordered the replacement relay timer. Since then...no problems.

I would not hesitate to purchase a well maintained Peninsular, Yanmar, Cummins, or any other motor.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Tom Alby
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westbrook Ct PPM North

Post by Tom Alby »

I have a 1997 Albin 28Te with a 300Hp Penninsuaiar with less than 700 Hrs. its a great engine easy to maintain and very dependable. Smokes on start up but cleans up quick. I would not hesitate to own another one.
dgurgel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dgurgel »

Thanks for replies. I have pased them on to the potential buyer, who was pausing because of a desire to have only Yanmar or Cummins.
Dave Gurgel
Hull #453
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by Mike »

We bought our 95 with 310 hours on her. We now have775 hours on her and have had no problems.
Time Out Annapolis
fsantora
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by fsantora »

I have my 28 te for 3 years no problems with peninsular motor . over 500 hrs not 1 repair. Tech service on the money, will talk for hours.
Parker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Parker »

Agree with the tone of this thread. Bought my 1994 TE in 2004. Have not had any problems - just noticed today that I'm at 1020 hours. I like calling the company and being able to talk to Matt when/if necessary. The engine is a Beast - Peninsular should have named it Mule. Smokey start - free bug repellant, but fine after 20 seconds.
1994 28 TE
Peninsular 300 TD Beast
soft top

Return to “General Discussion”