• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

over heating at high RPM

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

over heating at high RPM

Post by zinbaad »

Running the twin 315's has been without incident these past two years. This summer while pulling friends in a Tube, running yanmars for minutes 3400-3600 rpms, alarm sounds and starboard engine goes to over heat @ 200 for seconds. . Normal range was 175-180 degrees. Check, antifreeze, ok raw water flowing freely out exhaust. Restarted & kept to 3000-3200 without incident rest of summer. I would notice temp creep up each time I would exceed 3400 rpm but i never usually run that high (jus testing)
After seeing a friends intercooler pulled out, all crusted inside and the multiple tubes that antifreeze runs through (and restricted flow)I had a better Idea of why temps would rise.
After a nice afternoon visit from "Robs" and a cruise to the United Nations & back I decided to take him up on his offer of his plumb setup & pump to run a complete "Rydlyme Flush" which made more sense to me than just cleaning the intercooler. Ordered a 5 gal pail direct Rydlyme ($120) , hooked up fitting (See Robs Post) pumped Rydlyme 1/2 hour each way (simply swith hose on pump, lol)with a 1/2 wait between. With intercooler, tranny coller & oil cooler now flushed temp stays slight below 180" line up to 3400, slightly rises in higher rpms but not issue..
Thanks Rob for all your help
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: over heating at high RPM

Post by RobS »

Oh, you had me for a minute there. I was reading this thinking, Oh crap Eddy's still overheating the starboard engine. Glad the flush helped. One thing you can now move from the "do-list" to the "done-list"

I must say my do-list is down to nil. For now anyway...

Here's the link to the thread Eddie is taking about: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2054&hilit=rydlyme

And thank you for the scenic cruise down the river and even better for letting me run Mahalo most of the trip. I was stopping by Ed's store for a quick hello and he starting talking about the best way to setup the cooling loop flush. So I offered to show him the connection points, etc. right on the engines. I followed him over to the boat. And then he said, if you had the time I'd take you for a cruise down to the U.N. I said well I hope you mean that because it's only 1:00 and I'm meeting a client at the 7:00 Yankee game tonite so let's go!

Thanks again for the ride and the beer, even though it was Bud Light Lime :evil:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: over heating at high RPM

Post by zinbaad »

Very welcome Rob...I do hope the Yankees won that night.
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com

Return to “Albin Maintenance”