• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Pantograph windshield wipers

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Pantograph windshield wipers

Post by kathylsails »

We have the original wipers on our 2004 30 FC, which are the same as those on the 28 TEs. They are basically useless because they only clear the top part of the windshields and thus are only good for viewing the sky. We are considering replacing them with Pantographs, which we think would extend lower on the windshields. Do the Pantographs clear the lower part of the windshield? If so, would they fit on our boat? Our pilothouse is exactly the same as the 28 TEs. (Basically, our boat is a 28 with an aft cabin). Would you recommend the Pantographs, or are there other brands that are better?
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: Pantograph windshield wipers

Post by loubennett »

First of all pantograph is a type not a brand. I am planning to install them on Quest soon and I think I'll get the Imtra Coastal series. I plan to install new motors as well as the pantographic arms. Depending what motors you have you may need stronger motors to drive the larger blades. One nice feature of the Imtra motor is it is continuously adjustable for sweep angle. Most other motors have a selection of a few sweep angles. The arms are also adjustable for length so between the two you can optimize the coverage. The other choice is the length of the blade. In general the longer the better but different lengths may work better between the center and side wind shields. I haven't done it yet but the Imtra website has a form you can fill out with the dimensions of your windshields and the primary sight height. If you send it to them they will recommend what to use. The alternative is to work out the geometry yourself. I haven't finalized my selection of arm and blade length yet but I'll let you know what I decide. I'll probably submit the Imtra form too to see if they come up with the same solution.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Nowhere Special
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Catawba Island, Lake Erie

Post by Nowhere Special »

Yes, the pantograph arm is defenitly worth the time and money. I replace the helm wiper and arm with the Premier 17"-22" SS arm and the 20"polished SS wiper blade. First time out the Admiral liked it so much she ordered I do the remaining windows
Here is a link to an article on the pantograph arms. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3321&p=19846&hilit= ... per#p19846

Dave
Dave
1999 28TE Aba Daba
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

Many thanks to both of you! This site is GREAT!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

After 3 years with a Pantograph in the center window of our 28 TE I am ready to take it out. It's noisy, sloppy (hits the window sides after running for about 15 minutes) and very hard to adjust. The stock Albin arms on my boat were adjustable with a simple screw to move the blade down (lengthen the arm) and you can put any automobile blade of any length that will fit on it and get better coverage. Just make sure to get straight rather than curved blades. I use Michelin's cheap blades from Walmart. They last a whole season and do a good job. I am installing a fresh water rinse for the windscreen this winter, a great visability improver.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
poillon1

Post by poillon1 »

Thanks for posting your experience with these, we are looking to do something with wipers for next season. Reel McCoy, Mt Sinai NY
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

We put the pantographs on our 28 about 8 years ago and have posted the details in the past. The original wiper motors handle them fine (in spite of what the local Albin dealer said). Pantographs can be a little tough to initially adjust because they are larger (covering more window space) and the wiper motor instructions are just not too clear. They have proven to be a great improvement over the original wipers.

I'd like to hear any detailed information on a fresh water window wash installation and time delays for the wipers. Last time I looked there was not delay usable for controlling three wipers, but I think I recently heard of such a unit.
Don
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

As I recall, My boat (2004 A-30FC) came with 16 inch wiper blades. I replaced them with 20 inch generic blades and they provided a much better result. I may try a 22inch blade in the larger centre window.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada

Return to “General Discussion”