• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Correct thermostat

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

johnvb1014
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Wilson NY

Correct thermostat

Post by johnvb1014 »

I just purchased a 27 ft family cruiser with a 6 cyl Nissan diesel. Engine does not get up to normal operating temperature (< 150 F). I've been reading some automotive posts on LD 28 engines and it appears it is easy to have the wrong thermostat. Can anyone tell me the correct thermostat for the marine Nissan?

Thanks

John
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Re: Correct thermostat

Post by Panhdjoe »

Hello, i also have a 27 family cruiser with a LD28M engine. I also would like to have a part # for that thermostat although mine seems to be working fine at this time (it opens at 160) a spare would be nice to have. Many parts for the engine are available from auto parts suppliers, water pump, injectors, glowplugs, inj. pump belt Ect. using 1983 Nissan Maxima with diesel engine for the search. I have not found a source for marine specific parts. Nissan Marine says to call Nissan Fork lift then they say no Nissan Marine handles them. I have been referred to a place in California named Jesco. They at least Know what a LD28M is but my experience with them was very bad. So If any one can offer some help please Post. The good news is that are as good an engine as anyone has ever built (in my opinion) I worked as a Nissan tech at a dealer in the early 90s and got to know them back then. The only thing that I ever encountered giving a problem is the injection drive belt, It does need to be replaced every 1000 hours. My experience with the LD28 engine was part of the reason we bought our boat. Please let us know what you find and enjoy your fine boat. Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
johnvb1014
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Wilson NY

Re: Correct thermostat

Post by johnvb1014 »

Here is a link to a discussion of thermostats.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?p=200

I bought the NAPA 239, and it maintains temp at 170 F, although it is listed as 192F. Seems to work fine.

John

Return to “Albin Maintenance”