• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Correct Prop Size for 28TE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

cpesce
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Westbrook, CT

Correct Prop Size for 28TE

Post by cpesce »

I have the 1997 28 TE and my boat is not getting up to the rated RPM. It may be over propped but i have no idea as to what the factory spec is for prop on this boat. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Correct Prop Size for 28TE

Post by Cape Codder »

My 2003 with a Yanmar 315 has a 19" x 19" 4-blade
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

You didn't mention which engine? Does it matter?
Mine is the 18x18 3 blade. Peninsular.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jcollins wrote:You didn't mention which engine? Does it matter?
Mine is the 18x18 3 blade. Peninsular.
Yes, both the engine and the tranny ratio matter.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

The props on other boats can only give you an estimate because of added weight and windage of things mounted on the pilothouse. What you should do is make sure your propeller and bottom are clean. Then fill your tanks and take some people with you if you usually have guests. Determine the boat speed and RPM you get at wide open throttle and take this information and prop to a propeller shop. They can analyze the prop and knowing the type of boat make a calculation of what the pitch and cup should be. An experienced prop shop can do this pretty well and change the pitch and cup if the prop is in good shape. If you are not certain your tachometer is calibrated, purchase an inexpensive phototach. I purchased mine on eBay but there are other places to get them.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
cpesce
Swabby
Swabby

Post by cpesce »

Thank you for the replies. I have "The Beast", Peninsular 300HP.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

From what I recall and as John has posted above, the Penninsular TE's had 3 bladed 18" diameter props. As far as proper pitch and cup, that's gonna be based on "your" boat. Russell couldn't have explained it better. Will likely be in the 18 to 19" range on the pitch depending on any cup in the prop and the specifics of your boat (weight, windage, bottom condition, etc)
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

cpesce wrote:Thank you for the replies. I have "The Beast", Peninsular 300HP.
I have the Hurth 1:56 to 1 transmission. Yours is possibly the same since we have the same engine and the year of our boats are close.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

You also need to take in to account the accuracy of your TACH. You didn't mention how you measured your RPM, but my mechanic told me if your dash board mount tach is within or around 200 RPM of spec, I should not be overly worried about it. I still have not had my TACH RPM accuracy checked but need to do it. I am supposed to get 3800 RPM at full throttle with the engine/tranny combination I have, Dash board tach consistently shows a little over 3600 RPM.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

I have not heard too much about the Pennisular tachs being off a much as the Yanmar tachs. The Yanmar factory tachs are the worst for accuracy. In the higher rpm range my factory tach reads 200rpm's high and it's not adjustable. Here's the photo tach unit I purchased. Works very well: http://www.tequipment.net/Extech461920.asp Either way, I agree, the engine should be photo tached to prove, or disprove, the accuracy of the tach.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Your might try this one for $29 at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Laser-Pho ... B000EUT9ZS
I purchased one for a similar price on eBay and it is a good thing I payed so little or I might have had a heart attack. I went out by myself to check the speed and RPM at WOT. I tied the engine box up so it would not come down on my hands in a wave and set the phototach down on the deck so it would be right where I needed it. When I got up to speed I walked back to do the test and the phototach was gone. I looked around and there it was in the salt water in the scupper drain. :oops: Luckily it still worked after I took it apart and cleaned it up. The electronic part did not get wet, just the lens. My Cummins tach reads about 50 turns low at 2600.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
cpesce
Swabby
Swabby

Post by cpesce »

My tach might be off and I'm definitely going to photo tach it to check but my boats not even close to getting to rated speed (3,800). I'm barely getting 2,800 and she doesn't smoke a lot of black smoke so i doubt it's the prop size/pitch but I'm exploring all possibilities.

Thanks for the tip on the photo tach, just ordered the one from amazon. We'll see...
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

cpesce wrote:My tach might be off and I'm definitely going to photo tach it to check but my boats not even close to getting to rated speed (3,800). I'm barely getting 2,800 and she doesn't smoke a lot of black smoke so i doubt it's the prop size/pitch but I'm exploring all possibilities.

Thanks for the tip on the photo tach, just ordered the one from amazon. We'll see...
I'm pretty sure the rated top end for the Penninsular is 3600 and that's your target for WOT.

I'd be fairly suspicious of your prop. Can you get to 3600 in neutral? That will help narrow it down.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”