• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Any Earl impacts?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Any Earl impacts?

Post by DougSea »

Hey all,

Just got back from the club where we did a bunch of prep yesterday to get ready for Earl. Secured boats, pulled docks, generally battened down Wanted to see how badly we were getting hit...

Total non-event in the western Sound. And I mean nothing! No wind, no waves, barely any surge, no rain. Still, better safe than sorry! Really glad he decided to stay well off to the east. Could have been a real mess. And the last track I saw had it turning away from the Cape as well.

Hope you all made out as well as we did.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Any Earl impacts?

Post by jcollins »

Nothing in the Baltimore area. But (let me find my soapbox) I am very concerned about the media/local government coverage of this "event".
I have always been very watchful of all the weather sites, radar, computer models, etc., when tracking hurricanes in our area. We are lucky that most turn out into the Atlantic after passing the Carolinas. I started watching Earl 10 days ago. I would check the weather every few hours and kept telling the admiral that we are o.k. The media kept reporting how bad this storm was going to be. Our governer was ready to declare a state of emergency. The Mayor of Baltimore stated "this is a very dangerous storm" and "all citizens should prepare". What? Are we watching the same forecast? Who are her advisors? Don't get me wrong. I am all for proper preparation and being ready. It got to the point where Sharon was calling me during the day to give me the latest advisory. At one point I was ready to pull the boat to be safe. At the very least go down and double the lines and setup my hurricane web. I did double the lines just to be safe and this time we are o.k. Just a light to moderate breeze last night. High tide was about 1 foot above normal.

It is this type of hype that causes people to ignore truly bad storms and get caught in a bad place. When Isabel hit a few years ago there were many that just ignored the forecast because "we've heard it all before". Honestly, if I didn't own a boat, I would be one of those people. But, I do, so I pay attention.

As I write this Nova Scotia and Canada are getting hit pretty bad according to the TV reports. I'm happy it missed us and concerned for our brethern in the north. (time to get off the soap box)

Be safe and have a great weekend.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

That's the exact conversation I was having with a friend last night...the media hypes everything up so badly that they become the boy who cried wolf. And then there's a very real danger that people will ignore the warnings when a storm IS headed for them.

I'm still glad we activated our storm plan...but the never ending news cycle needs to change.

Glad to hear it was a non event for you too.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

This is a favourite topic of mine too. All the drama whipped up by the media is pathetic & misleading.

My FIRST source of information is the NHC. It happens to be the only source of information. Nobody else has planes going out into the storm etc. It turns out that the NHC was spot on with their predicted track days ago. The media dwelled on the least likely worst case scenario as if it was the most likely track. Information from the NHC be damned.

Conveniently no mention was ever made of the windfield patterns around the storm which even at its strongest showed that hurricane force winds never extended further than 100 miles to the west from center. Tropical storm force winds were not much further. If you paid attention to breathless TWC people you would think that everywhere under the clouds of Earl was tropical storm force or higher. Utter nonsense!

Rant over. Time to get off soapbox.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Nothing here in Mystic, Ct either. Maybe 10 knots , a few "gusts" to 15. Probably 1 1/2 of rain.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by Legacy »

You guys dodged a bullet, here in Boston the dew on my boat in the morning was pretty thick.
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Legacy wrote:You guys dodged a bullet, here in Boston the dew on my boat in the morning was pretty thick.
:lol: :lol:

I just heard on the news Maryland is now in drought.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I've stopped watching cable news entirely. Complete waste of time. It's all either political propaganda or over-sensationlized "news". No thanks.

I get my news from the internet or the local morning news show.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Yup, drought in MD. We just arrived Tilghman & have taken up residence at Severn Marine for 5 nights or so. Heard all about the drought that flooded the streets of St Michaels last week.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “General Discussion”