• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New albin 25 owner

Albin's "power cruisers"
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mactaquac New Brunswick Canada

New albin 25 owner

Post by glk34 »

Great to be a part of this group. After 18 years of sailing, my wife and I wanted something, trailerable and affordable to cruise with. We were so lucky to find "Iron Jack" a 25 Albin in wonderful condition. This is our first summer with this boat and so far no disappointments. I have not missed the sail part of boating yet.
Thanks again for all the info this group shares
MeyrickP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stamford CT

Re: New albin 25 owner

Post by MeyrickP »

welcome aboard. Did the same thing myself with a 28 TE (although I dont trailer!)
Meyrick Payne
Albin 32+2
"Ancora"
Stamford, CT
Brian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Brian »

Congratulations.
Any pictures of your Albin?
Tell us more about yours.
We bought our this spring...see attachment.
Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

glk34,
Welcome to Albin Owners Group!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by glk34 »

Iron Jack has a 3 cyl Perkins Perama with about 1300hrs. Not sure when the original engine was replaced. Other than that she is original and in great shape. Basic electronics, auto pilot etc. I really would like to replace the porta potty with a marine head and holding tank but I am unsure where to put the tank. Any advice on this would be great. Also a small swim platform would be nice. Other than that we are very pleased. Great trailer. I will post pictures as soon as I can figure out how.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Brian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Brian »

glk34,
What a beauty!
Very nice & clean.
How many knts do you cruise at?
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by glk34 »

Cruises at 6.5-7kts at about 2600rpm. Rated rpm is 3500 but that is just too high and fuel efficiency really goes south. Brian, I really like your hard top. What year, hull number are you?
Chris
Brian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Brian »

Hi Chris,

That speed/rpm is pretty much what we do.
6knts at 2400 rpm. Your Perkins must be around 30hp? (same as us).
The hard top was made and installed in Sidney BC prior to us.
If you're interested, I'll dig in my files to see exactly who did it.
I think they still have the mold and there are several Albin 25's out here with it.
We're hull # 1155, the previous owner was happy enough at "mid seventies"
Another site has written that hull #...
1164 is 1971
1176 is 1972
also...
1752 is 1973
1777 is 1974
But then...
1019 is 1973???

Maybe yours is 337
If so it may be a very early one?
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by glk34 »

You are right, the perkins is 29hp. The hard top looks great but sounds like the mold is a bit far away to do business on. Brian, looks like you have a swim platform. I almost ordered a couple of brackets (removable) to mount one on iron jack. Was yours something you made, ordered or was it on when you got the boat? how far does it extend out? I am looking at 15" if I build one
Brian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Brian »

Our boat has a swim platform built by the previous owner.
It's 3/4" plywood glassed over and follows the transom curve with about 1/2" clearance and is about 16" wide.
He has some pipe brackets top & bottom that keeps it sturdy and firm.
There are a couple of those Weaver snap davits on it for the inflatable dingy.
I have since cut 20" out of the aft railing at the center for easier access up & down for my older parents and our little kids.
I have also added a telescopic swimming ladder (the ones that slide underneath) on the platform at the center.
It works well for us.
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by glk34 »

Looks great. I like the idea of dinghy davits. Do you have a waste holding tank? If so where is it located-plastic or flexible? I am having a bit of problem to figure where to mount the tank. I was surprised that there doesn't even seem to be any thru hulls for the original marine head. Any help on this would be great. We presently have a porta potty-hate it. Our old sailboat had a marine head with holding tank-only way to go as far as I am concerned. Thanks.
Brian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Brian »

Hi glk34,
No holding tank, the previous owner installed a porta potty. It is fine but with a family of 5, we need to find facilities every few days. I may look into something different too. We have thru hull fittings still there...suprised yours doesn't.
I think some have installed holding tanks aft a bit under helm. I may be mistaken but will look into it for you.
Brian
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by glk34 »

What I am seeing are holding tanks under the captains chair. I have 3 batteries there but I think a 10gallon tank would fit. I think there are spaces for flex tanks but I have never been a fan of them. Maybe worth looking into. I did upgrade our 8 liter porty to a 19liter and this does the 2 of us for about 3-4 days easy. I still hate emptying it and would sooner just go to the pump out. I also have ordered some removable swim platform brackets and hope to get this project done this fall. We hauled the boat in anticipation of Hurricane Earl, no issues here but Halifax got hit pretty hard. I will be back in the water first of the week.

Chris
Brian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Brian »

glk 34,

I have sent you a PM.
There seems to be a lot of room under the helm, measured it yesterday and a 20x20x20" tank is possible (if the batteries could be moved outboard) I think. Not quite sure about plumbing issues.
We are also thinking about a heater installation too and wonder about room for the ducting. Do you have a heater?
Brian
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

glk34 wrote:...I did upgrade our 8 liter porty to a 19liter and this does the 2 of us for about 3-4 days easy. I still hate emptying it and would sooner just go to the pump out.
Chris,

I was at a boat show a couple of years ago and saw a production boat, pretty sure it was a Wellcraft, with a portapotty plumbed to a deck pump out. Might be a solution for you depending on where your head sits on the boat. Just something to think about.
Last edited by DougSea on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”