• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cummins after cooler zinks

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

henry robertson
First Mate
First Mate

Cummins after cooler zinks

Post by henry robertson »

found a hiden problem in my 1996 31 te --Cummins 425hp- the turbo after cooler forward zink is hiden below the motor bunks no room to remove have to remove whole unit to change---mine was obviously never changed --missed by surveyor.
when zink goes--corrosion eats aluminum threads on end cap.. cap pops loose about 1/2 " your engine water pump is now free to fill your bilge in very short order. caught mine when only a high pressure spray at dock. besides sinking boat you can fry turbo. cooler is a $2,800 item so check it out --there are two zinks on this cooler.

henry robertson beaufort,SC
henry
albin 31
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: Cummins after cooler zinks

Post by Tuxedo »

Yes, and according to my mechanic, you really need to remove and clean the after cooler every two years. Failure to do so could cause pin hole leaks and let water intrude into the combustion air flow, with catastrophic results.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus

Return to “Albin Maintenance”