• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Velvet V Drive Transmission Oil leak

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Velvet V Drive Transmission Oil leak

Post by Capt Paul »

This past week we did about a 200 nautical mile round trip. I noticed during the beginning of the week transmission oil coming out of the dip stick. I have not added oil or changed in it 2 years (about 200 hrs of run time), I check the level regularly. I’m planning to change it on the next 100 hr service. Has anyone else with this type of transmission seen oil leak from the dip stick. Could it be the rubber seal on the dip stick is finally warn and I need to get a new one?

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Velvet V Drive Transmission Oil leak

Post by Capt Paul »

An update on this. I decided to change my transmission oil and pulled out the transmission manual. I noticed that in the instructions to remove the dipstick you are required unscrew the dip stick before removing. Well I pulled the dip stick out since it doe not have a tight fit. I looked over the dipstick where the rubber seal is located. The seal will not seal unless once the dipstick is back in place, you turn the dipstick handle clockwise a couple of turns. This basically will cause the metal washer that holds the rubber seal in place to crush it and expand it. No more leak!

I had forgotten about this, I never realized this was the reason for turning the handle. :roll:
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”