• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

ac power outlets

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

ac power outlets

Post by special k »

getting the boat set up for the summer and discovered the ac power outlets not working on my 2002 28te.
all other ac working, fridge, microwave and water heater.
any suggestions on where to start my trouble shooting? other than the main switch panel i am unaware of any other breakers or fuses.

thanks, mick
Jack28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: ac power outlets

Post by Jack28 »

On my 28te there is a GFIC in the cabinet to the right of the sink and maybe yours is tripped?
"AHLUVOIL"
2001 28TE
Westbrook.CT
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

thanks, my first thought was a gfi circut breaker but i couldnt find one. i'll look further.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Jack28 wrote:On my 28te there is a GFIC in the cabinet to the right of the sink and maybe yours is tripped?
That's what happened to me. The AC outlet circuit goes to the outlet above and to the right of the sink and then goes clockwise around the boat, ending with the outlet by the helm chair. The one GFI outlet protects all of these downstream outlets.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

Outlet in the head might also have a GFCI.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

joe.baar wrote:Outlet in the head might also have a GFCI.
You would think that but I know on mine the one in the galley cabinet takes care of all of the remaining AC outlets including the head. Given how a GFI works there's really no problem with that, but it is a bit counter-intuitive!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

many homes are also done that way, a gfic plug in one bathroom also protects other bathrooms.
can be confusing when chasing down a problem.
as far as my boat outlets, i'm sure i will find a gfi outlet near the galley area, i just didn't see it this past weekend. either in a cabinet or hidden by all our "stuff".

anyway thanks for the replies.
cheers!........mk
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

yes, the gfi was tripped and the never used outlet was hiding under my biniculars.

but now i have another problem. while fishing yesterday i suddenly developed a serious vibration while underway approx 15 knots.

now cannot exceed 2000rpm without vibration. my best hopes are that i have a rope fouled in my running gear, will take her to a beach area where i can don my snorkel mask and take a look. multiple tries to reverse the foul failed to solve this issue.

my question is if i have no junk on my prop or shaft what might cause this problem? only 400 hours on the boatt

thanks......
Seaslug44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Seaslug44 »

Not sure where you boat but if it's in an area with lots of seaweed you may just have a ton of weeds wrapped around the prop. The quick fix is to this situation is to put the boat in neutral, allow her to come to a stop and then put her in reverse for about ten seconds as you rev the engine (don't be afraid to apply some decent throttle). Then put the boat in nuetral for a few seconds, then watch the water off the stern of the boat as you put her in forward at idle speed. If the problem was weeds around the prop, you will see them shoot up to the surface as the process I just described almost always dislodges them.

If this fix does not solve the problem then it may be a rope as you described. If not then we are on to possible more serious causes involving misalignment/unbalanced gear in the drive train such as bent/broken propellor, shaft, cutlass bearing, transmission, etc...
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Another thing I read happening to someone else was the shaft zinc became loose. The person had the boat hauled and was a little miffed that this simple problem caused the expense. Taking a look with the diving mask is a good idea.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”