• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How many are too many hours on generator???

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

harlie
First Mate
First Mate

How many are too many hours on generator???

Post by harlie »

Looking at an Albin with many of the features we want; the generator has 2000 hours on it. We know that maintenance is a big factor but how many hours can one expect from a generator? Is there an average with good care. Thank you looking forward to outside advice.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: How many are too many hours on generator???

Post by jleonard »

What brand generator? I have 2400 or so on my circa 1983 4.4 kw Westerbeke and it is running very well. Parts are still available.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
harlie
First Mate
First Mate

Post by harlie »

Hi thank you for your reply; it is a 5 KW Northern Lights Generator. Look forward to your response.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Personally I think the NL is the creme of the crop in small gensets. I installed one in my ex boat, however I only put 350 hours on it when I sold the boat so I can't personally attest to it's longevity other than it has an excellent reputation.

Just remember that "marine age" is more of a factor than actual running hours. If the engine room has been dry, and the unit is not rusty, etc. then the genset should last a very long time.

edit: My policy is to go thru the raw water side of the engine and generator on any boat I buy. New impeller or completely new pump, remove and clean heat exchangers, replace any old looking hoses, etc.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”