• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Windshield Wiper Motor/Arm

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jerseyalbin

Windshield Wiper Motor/Arm

Post by jerseyalbin »

I have a 2005 28TE and my center windshield wiper motor has died. I believe due to a leak which I need to fix as part of this replacement. It is an Ongaro Marine motor, which seems to be available. Has any one replaced one of these?

Also I am having a hard time removing the old arm. What kind of tool is needed? It is hard to see as it is under the roof and access is a little restricted I lifted the cover over the attachment part but cannot see down the shaft. Is it an Allen wrench, screw head, etc? When I do change I want to go to the larger double panograph arm (saw some in Essex last July), I believe Time after Time had it? What size arm should I use on the center windshield panel?

Thanks for any assistance,

Craig
Jerseyalbin
Pirates Treasure 28TE 2005
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Re: Windshield Wiper Motor/Arm

Post by joe.baar »

Craig,
This won't answer all your questions but I just recently replaced my helm-side wiper arm with a pantograph. This was really easy to do. All my motors are AFI heavy-duty, I think the 1000 models. The shaft has a hefty grooved brass end that set-screws can bite into easily. My original wiper arms had one Allen screw on the head under the cap; the new arm has two Allen screws. I used the AFI - Marinco product # 33037A, "Pantographic Adjustable Stainless Steel Wiper Arm (17" to 22")" which is about middle-of-the-line for price. The same item will probably serve as well for the center window because of its adjustability - but you need to check out Ongaro products if you're going to replace the motor with the same as before. I did use a longer blade, my originals were 16" and I went to 18" - probably later I'll try a 20" to increase the sweep area, if I can be sure it won't burn out the motor.

After removing the Allen screw and leaving the whole head to soak for a week in WD40, I returned with one of those really small (6" long?) pry bars and used a small block of wood as a fulcrum to pop it off - very easy, pry around the head in at least 3 places and expect a bang when it lets go.

To find the hidden (upper) Allen screw on the new wiper head I used a mirror with some success - and I did discover my Allen wrench for that size screw needs to be shorter to manipulate this one due to that restricted clearance under the house top overhang. Some day I'll make a short one for this job alone.

Sorry, I forgot Boatmon's advice and didn't take any "before" photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

Document, document, document :D I fully realize that we're kind of over the top that way, but documentation is always good. It could help you or the next owner in the future.

Haven't replaced a wiper motor yet but it's on the list ("but, they don't match?") Try Wolf's Marine in Benton Harbor MI, great prices.

here's a couple random pics;
The Lass 1531.jpg
The Lass 1563.jpg
The Lass 1548.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

Joe, thanks so much for the advice. I just finished soaking the head with penetrating oil as i found the set screw but it does not want to move at all. I tried pliers and taping with a hammer, I will go to the pry bar next. Your job looks great and gives a much improved sweep.
I got a nice reply from Ongaro to my email , they are carried by Defender and Hamilton, I would like to stay with the matching motors. The other 2 are still good (knock wood). They recommended the same kind of adjustable arm , I was going to go online and look at them.
Appreciate the advise!!

Jerseyalbin,
Craig
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I had the same problem with removing the 13 year old wiper arms and after penetrating oil and almost breaking the windshield when a pry bar slipped I ended up cutting them with a variable speed power hack saw. Just cut it on the sides and stick in a flat blade screwdriver and twist. The corrosion was really thick and I don't think anything would have dissolved it. The angle is bad for a hand operated saw but the power ones have a reciprocating blade protruding from the front that made it an easy task. I was also concerned that the force transmitted by the pry bar would damage the motor.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”