• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engine Stop Button

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Engine Stop Button

Post by johnmurray »

When I launched my boat (finally) on Tuesday the engine (Yanmar 6LPA-STP) ran fine but the stop button did not work. When I pushed the button there was a slight chattering sound and I noted the voltage indicator dropped off, but the engine did not stop. When I turned off the ignition key the engine did stop.
I understand that the stop button activates a solenoid on the fuel pump that cuts off the fuel supply to the engine which makes it stop. Could it be sticking and could that account for the slight chattering noise? Or does the voltage drop-off indicate an electrical short in the solenoid or its wiring?
Any suggestions are most welcome.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Engine Stop Button

Post by jleonard »

Could be sticky, more likely a loose wire, loose connection, greenwire, etc that prevents full power from getting to the solenoid. At least that's my experience on many other diesels.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

I had the same issue. It was definitely the shutdown solenoid.

If the problem is still there, there should be a manual shutdown push button on the engine. Follow the fuel lines and look for a push button.

Turning the key off normally does not stop the engine. Leave the key in the on position until the engine is off.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
Jack28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jack28 »

Sounds like a loose wire to me. I always turn mine off with the key. Someone left the key on on mine and the hour meter keeps going ( week-10 days ). JRG
"AHLUVOIL"
2001 28TE
Westbrook.CT
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

It was a loose wire at the stop switch end, not the solenoid.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada

Return to “Albin Maintenance”