• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Prop lock nuts for NSC

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, AK

Prop lock nuts for NSC

Post by yhc »

Good evening everyone,

We got a call today from the boatyard that is working on our boat. The boat was just trucked up from California to Tacoma, WA where she is getting ready for launching later this week. Apparently one of the stern lock nut for the prop has been damaged when the props were taken off in California it is not reuseable. The boatyard is having a difficult time finding the right part.

The owner's manual shows SPM405-425-01 as the part number for these prop nuts. SPM 405-425-01-01 and SPM 405-425-01-02 are the two nuts that hold the prop on the shaft.

Do any of you know where I can get these lock nuts? Any input would be appreciated.

Regards,

yhc
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Re: Prop lock nuts for NSC

Post by JackK »

For a quick answer, give Ken Hilton @ Standish Boat Yard in Tiverton, RI a call at 401-624-4075. Ken and his crew will point you in the right direction and may have the parts in stock.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yhc »

Thanks for the info Jack. I just called Ken and left a message for him.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Buck Algonquin outfitted many running gear components for Albin. I would contact them. Here is the link to their prop nut page and you can get contact info there too.
http://www.buckalgonquin.com/pages/Prod ... _page.html
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Why wouldn't you simply source it by thread size and pitch?
edit: And of course by material
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

That was a good link. Look what else they carry for Albins.http://www.buckalgonquin.com/pages/Prod ... _page.html
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yhc »

Thanks for the info guys. You would think this is easy but apparently the boat yard guy went to 5 different prop shops today but could not find the right one.... Quite frustrating. We will check the links, etc.

Regards,

yhc
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yhc »

Problem solved. The boat yard and I called around, including those sources mentioned on this thread...no go. I rethreaded the nuts w/ a tap then tried to get the nuts on the shaft...no go. The boat yard recommended to have a machine shop fabricate a set of prop nuts. Finally when a machinist came out he looked at the shaft and looked at the nuts then said, "I think I can get them on". He cleaned off the prop shaft thread then proceeded to insert the nuts w/ a gentle pursuation involving light taps from a hammer. In a few minutes the nuts were on and we were ready to splash. Not a very conventional method but we are happy it worked out. I pray that we won't have to content with this issue.

jleonard,

The nut size and pitch are 1 1/2"-12. Apparently the industry "norm" for 1 1/2" is 6 pitch rather than 12 thus all these shops/sources did not have them available.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

The nut size and pitch are 1 1/2"-12. Apparently the industry "norm" for 1 1/2" is 6 pitch rather than 12 thus all these shops/sources did not have them available.
I just found them in stainless. McMaster Carr
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yhc »

Thanks for the info jleonard.

I just checked out their website and they have regular threaded but not left-hand threaded 1 1/2-12 in stainless or brass. I will continue to do my search for my future reference but if you know of any other sources do let me know.

Regards,

yhc

Return to “Albin Maintenance”