• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Brandy1937 Boat Size???????

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Brandy1937
Mate
Mate

Brandy1937 Boat Size???????

Post by Brandy1937 »

Hello Albin Sailors

I am planning to do the "Great Loop" while I still can. I've owned a 31TE and loved the boat. However I feel one of that size would get pretty small
by the time you finished the trip.
I've been looking at and researching every Albin from the 36 fast trawler and up. I really like the 36 fast trawler for it's looks. Looked at a couple
single engine boats. The main concern with the single is the deep draft. Living in so. Fl the water is so shallow.
I like being able to have speed when I need it but in these days of high fuel prices I don't plan on doing a fast trip.
With bigger horse power,is it hard on the engines to run at slower speeds??? I like twins for the manouvering and the safety.
Would appreciate any and all comments.
Thanks
Brandy 1937
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Re: Brandy1937 Boat Size???????

Post by Veebyes2 »

JMO, but given the choice I'd look for a 36 FT with a big single & a bow thruster over twins. I like the idea of having some protection it I find myself in skinny water or debris filled water.

One engine to take care of. Lower fuel bills. Much more room in engine room for servicing, just for a start on advantages.

As far as running at extended periods at slow speeds go, I've had single diesels for the past 24 years. My habit has always been to give a good burst, maybe a mile or so, of WOT just to keep injectors clean. No major issues in that time with a combined more than a few thousand hours running time.

Close quarters hanndling with a single is not difficult. Good bursts of HP gets the boat pointed in the direction you want to go. Practice out in the open where you won't hit anything. Anchor a fender to use as a reference point. The fender is good for a MOB drill too.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Brandy1937 Boat Size???????

Post by jleonard »

With bigger horse power,is it hard on the engines to run at slower speeds???
Not an issue at all provided you can maintain a decent coolant temperature, say 160 F. Should not be a problem, as long as there is some load on the enigne, if it is you need a thermostat.
I ran a Cummins 6bta 270 at 1400 rpm/8 knots for extended runs. Never a problem.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “General Discussion”