• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hi everyone.........

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
robertatthebeach
Deckhand
Deckhand

Hi everyone.........

Post by robertatthebeach »

My name is robert, and I am considering buying an albin 1985 42 nimbus...........GAG!!.............sailboat !! I am not sure at all if there are any nimbus cruising sailboat owners on this site, but I hope there are.

I have repaired and rebuilt boats of all types for the last 30 years, mostly concerning systems of electrical and mechanical means, as I am an electrical engr. I have also faired, painted, rerigged, and deck set up several sailboats. I have fiberglass repaired hulls, installed fiberglass composite structural floors, repaired bulkheads, built composite rudders, and any other load bearing part of a boat.

Now it is time to go cruising. I have several questions regarding the nimbus 42. After searching yachtworld for two years, the nimbus 42 comes as close to what I need as I think I can get.

Soooooooooooo, anyone out there??

Let me know, and Thanks in advance, Robert.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Re: Hi everyone.........

Post by Veebyes2 »

Hey, welcome to the group. I don't know if there are any Albin ragbag owners here. Good luck finding & working on the project boat. I am off to do a bit of fiberglassing work myself today.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Robert,
Welcome to AOG. We have a couple sail members that joined over the years but they don't post. You are welcome to hang out with us stinkers. It sounds like you have some great experience with fiberglass that could be helpful to the group. An Albin is an Albin. Sail or power. How's your Dutch? If you look in the links forum there is a link to the Dutch site that does have sail owners.

Our burgees fly just as well on a mast.

Thanks for joining.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
robertatthebeach
Deckhand
Deckhand

Thank you for the nice response. I wish I did speak Dutch. I'm having a terrible time finding out information about the 42 nimbus, well, actually information about keel material, keel bolt material, and keel stub integrity. I fear that the keel is iron, as most of them were in that era, which means steel keel bolts. And after 35 years.............new keel.

I think it could be done for about 10k, assuming I did all the work (other than casting the keel). A very major project, frought with danger, like keel stub damage, keel stub cracks, etc. Would really rather it was lead to start with.

I hope in the long run, if I do buy this boat, that I can attract more sailboat owners to this site. Perhaps a separate index entry for sailboats would help ??

Thanks again, Robert.
robertatthebeach
Deckhand
Deckhand

Hello again,
Found answers to all my questions, and everything turned out far better than expected. I will check in every now and then, and can hardly wait to post the picture of the boat. By the time I am done, I hope to have 100 albin sailboat owners on this site.
Cheers, Robert. Maybe we could have a separate sailboat index entry??
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

A separate forum for Albin sailboats is doable. You could ply me with wine, women, and song...or bring a bunch of new members. 8)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jreg

Post by jreg »

I am interested in the same and am looking at on in the Carribbean. I have a boating friend who owns one and will contact him to see if he is aware of your request. Did you determine if the ballast is iron or lerad??
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

Welcome Robert. I'm new here myself. Seems like some pretty nice folks here at Albin. Hope you can round up some sail boaters, but I'm sure anyone here would help you if they could :D .
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
robertatthebeach
Deckhand
Deckhand

It has been awhile since I have posted here. Still have not bought an Albin 42, but am oh so close.

To answer a previous post, the keel is iron.

Will post a pic when I find one to buy.

Robert. :D
wamcneil
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Corpus Christi TX

Post by wamcneil »

So... Did you ever find one?
I've got an '82 Nimbus 42 in Corpus Christi TX that the wife is forcing me to sell.
It's solid, has some great equipment, but has a lots of unfinished projects.
And if you have any more questions about the Nimbus, just let me know. Having owned one since 1994 I'm intimately familiar with just about every inch of them... The good, the bad and the ugly...
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi wamcneil,

I'm not sure how often "robertatthebeach" checks in, but I'm thinking he very well might want to have a chat with you. If you click on his name you can send him an e-mail or PM (private message) that might get his attention sooner.

Best of luck with the sale!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Soho
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Soho »

New to this forum, I have an Albin Nimbus 42 / 83 build. Been a labor of love for me the last 8 years fixing it up etc. Happy to dialogue with anyone on the topic, I have gotten to know the boat pretty well.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Soho: Can you post a picture of this interesting vessel?
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/conv.
rhhmadry
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by rhhmadry »

I am looking at an Albin Nimbus 42. Any helpful hints from Albin Nimbus owners? What should I look for? What are her strengths and weaknesses? What would you "improve" on her?

Thanks

Return to “New Member Introductions”