• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar alternator

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Yanmar alternator

Post by robonurse »

The alternator in my 2006 Yanmar 315 in my Albin 28 always delayed a few minutes after starting before it showed a charging state on the voltmeter. When I inquired about that, the term "excite the regulator" was used and I was told that it takes a few minutes for that to happen after starting the engine. Recently (when I winterized) I noticed that upon starting the engine, the voltmeter immediately went to a charging state. It appears to be putting out about 14 volts but I will check it with a voltmeter in the spring. Can any of you electrically saavy folks out there advise if I may need to have the regulator replaced? Also, early last season when I launched, it did not appear to be charging at all but later seemed to work fine and then was fine all season.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Yanmar alternator

Post by Carl »

I think it is possible that what you are seeing in terms of the volt meter is, when you first start your engine cold, there is an electric air pre-heater that runs for up to 5 minutes. It draws considerable amperage and pulls your voltage down to sometimes below 12v. You should notice that after the pre-heater goes off, that your volt meter will slowly clime up to the normal 14v. Check it out and see if thats what your seeing. I will often sit in the slip and wait for the voltage to go up before leaving and useing the bow thruster. If I dont and the preheater is still running while useing the bowthruster, my electronics dosnt like it. Once it goes off there are no issues.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by robonurse »

Thanks, Carl but I don't think it is related to the pre heater. I can watch the gauge jump when the pre heater turns off before I even start the engine. I've had the boat since new and it is acting distinctly different.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

I do not believe the air heater turns off until after the engine has been running and the water temp reaches 100 degrees or so.
Getting back to the alternator, you can take it to almost any starter rebuilding place and they can run it on a bench test
2001 28TE - Doghouse
robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by robonurse »

Thanks. That seems like the only reasonable course of action at this time. I'll plan to pull out the alternator as soon as the weather warms up a bit and get it checked out. Thanks.
robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by robonurse »

The alternator on my 31TE with Yanmar 440 shows no charging volts. After much diagnostic work and an alternator rebuild, it now bench tests fine but still shows no charge when installed. I found the air heater controller relay to be stuck (it actually had a burn hole in the controller) and the heaters were on constantly. Once I disabled the heaters, the voltmeter read normally. There was considerable rust in the plug and two prongs broke when I removed the controller. Since I only use the boat from mid April to mid October I am considering leaving the air heaters disabled, It seems to warm up and run fine without them. Has anyone had a similar experience or do you have any thoughts on this?
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

I had my alternator rebuild locally and they put in a heavier duty voltage regulator regulator in it.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
jmfernan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Santa Barbara, CA

Post by jmfernan »

robonurse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:45 pm The alternator on my 31TE with Yanmar 440 shows no charging volts. After much diagnostic work and an alternator rebuild, it now bench tests fine but still shows no charge when installed. I found the air heater controller relay to be stuck (it actually had a burn hole in the controller) and the heaters were on constantly. Once I disabled the heaters, the voltmeter read normally. There was considerable rust in the plug and two prongs broke when I removed the controller. Since I only use the boat from mid April to mid October I am considering leaving the air heaters disabled, It seems to warm up and run fine without them. Has anyone had a similar experience or do you have any thoughts on this?
I disconnected the air heater on my 6LY 370. No change in smoke at startup (very little both with and without heater). Much less belt dust than before and don't need to tighten belt anywhere near as often.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I had my heaters replaced 2 years ago. The yard disconnected the wiring and use brass or bronze plugs to replace where the heaters screwed into the holes on my 315. I also replaced my alternator. The local guy wanted $125 for a rebuild as oppose to one on-line for $95.00. All is good except the weather here on Long Island.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York

Return to “Albin Maintenance”