• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Interior wood finish

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Interior wood finish

Post by Mariner »

Does anyone know what kind of finish Albin used on their interior wood trim pieces circa 2003? I've got a couple doors that no longer open and close as they should and need a little trimming, as well as some water damaged trim pieces. I will need to re-finish them all and was wondering if anyone knew what was used at the factory, or what they've had luck using. It does not appear to be traditional varnish, as it doesn't peel like I would expect it to.
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Re: Interior wood finish

Post by joreyn »

I am not sure what the product was that was applied in the factory. At the end of last season, though, I did have a quote from some yacht maintenance people in Bellingham. They proposed to use Teak cleaner to treat any damaged ares in the wood (believe the idea is to get rid of oxidation and embedded dirt and mold), and then to use Interlux satin to refinish interior wood.

I've used Interlux satin before on several occasions. I don't think it is a perfect match, but it's close. More important, it is durable, scratch resistant, and easy to work with a brush.

I plan to redo all of the wood in the galley area on Blue Moon this winter. The product Albin used was not durable.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “Albin Maintenance”