• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Drain Plug?

Bigsteve51
Gold Member
Gold Member

Drain Plug?

Post by Bigsteve51 »

Just had my 26 tournament Express removed from the water for the winter and noticed what appears to be a drain plug on the keel. Was I correct assuming that this is in fact a drain plug, thanks for any info that can be provided.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Re: Drain Plug?

Post by joe.baar »

Steve,
See West Marine at http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... assNum=698 for a small selection of these, which I believe are "garboard drain plugs". My plug, like yours, has a square "hole" to insert a wrench, unlike these which have raised square ends to accommodate crescent or adjustable wrenches. I think the plug functions the same either way, probably the raised-end ones are intended for installation in a transom and in boats that spend more time out of the water than in it.

Every year I check, scrape and paint mine but so far I've stopped short of trying to unscrew it. Last year I measured the diameter and if I can find the right size replacement plug I might go for it next haulout.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

If your boat is out of the water for the winter, ice could form in the bottom of the skeg and do bad things. Pulling the plug will allow water to drain before it freezes.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Previous owner of my boat never opened it up. The first year I did and had oil, grime, and remenants of a rag come out. We chalked that up to sloppy oil changes. Since then just some oily bilge water. I always open it up at the end of the season.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Anthony1013 »

Hmmm.... I've never removed our plug. Is the skeg hollow? I'm guessing the fluid would get down there throught the shaft seal, no?
28' Albin "MadMoney" in Ilwaco/Seattle
CCA Member & PSA Sno-King Member
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

This is in fact your drain plug and, when your boat is on the hard in a normal slight "nose up" position everything that drains to the bilge should drain from this port.

A standard 1/2" drive ratchet should fit it. I pull mine every year or the yard does it for me when the haul it. Just don't lose it!! Makes it very easy to give the bilge a good scrubbing when it's out.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Bigsteve51
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bigsteve51 »

Thanks to all for the info. I hope to get the boat put to sleep this weekend and pull that plug out and see what comes out of there. Once again thanks.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

After reading this post, with my first year up on dry I decided to take a look. Feeling a bit squeamish as to what might pour our & the fear that I might break the plug (an outy) or crack the housing attatched to the fiberglass I was pleasntly surprised. It came out easily & had no drainage discharge at all, bone dry. Now thgis is a job I can do, lol :lol:
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”